1/32 Heinkel 219 A-0 Revell (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

A beautiful build, sir!

On the night 5/6 December, Bomber Command attacked the marshalling Yards at Soest. My dad was on this operation. I think he may have encountered He.219's that night over the target area.

Boiten and Mackenzie record the following that night

Combat with the Nachtjagd

Opposition by the Nachtjagd was weak with 2 attacks over Soest and 2 south of Bonn on the way home from the target14. Bomber command records that enemy controllers were confused by the counter-measures, including a Mosquito raid on Nuremburg. Controllers identified the force at 2109 hrs and supposed Hagen at 2109 hrs and then Dortmund at 2117 hrs to be the objective. Soest was identified as the target at 2121, after the raid had commenced according to 8-Group16. The Nachtjagd defence was further hindered by poor weather conditions over the bases in western Germany. Bomber Command force was first identified at A total of 90 Nachtjager of I., III. and IV./NJG1, I./NJG2 and II./NJG4 were sent up in the Ruhr area and two further Gruppen in the middle of the Rhine area. 15 He.219 of I./NJG1 were scrambled and these crews reported that heavy flak fire forced the Owls away from their targets when they had manoeuvered into shooting position.

Dad bombed at 2133 hrs at 19,000'.
15C20AA4-8543-4991-A1A7-79D963C388EA.jpeg

His logbook records:

0613CCB0-7DCC-484D-8ABC-68C422E64256.jpeg

As the figure caption records, I'm pretty sure what they saw were He.219's, the a/c misidentified. Also, from B and M, Likely from I./NJG1.

The rail facilities were heavily hit that night.

Jim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back