1/32 Heinkel 219 A-0 Revell

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hello again my fellow model makers.

It's been awhile since my last post, but as you can imagine, last year was kind of rough in every aspect in my life since there was a lot of uncertainty in my personal affairs as well as in work since the projects I was working on, were detained due to the virus. Thanks God, everything is becoming clearer and quite a lot of opportunities.

Well, besides the time consuming trying to continue providing in home, I also had time to begin with this new Uhu project that since I was a boy, always captured my mind. The first time I met this kite was with a Monogram 1/72 Uhu in the 70´s. Since then I always wanted to construct this kite in a bigger scale, and with the surplus of time, it was time to tackle this project, based with the examples and comments that you guys offer in this fine web page.

Uhu box.jpg

Man, the box is quite large and as you can imagine, I was completely excited to begin with the model. I have to make a comment about the quality of this plastic model and as far as I know, the molds used for the manufacture of this kite, are superb. I mean Revell excelled itself with this new line of products.

First, the images of the cockpit while it was being constructed:

First the lateral cockpit panels

cockpit 01.jpg

The next image appears to be in flat black, but its a very dark grey (guess it was the RLM 72)

cockpit 02.jpg

cockpit 03.jpg

Then the radio/radar pack for the radar operator in the rear cockpit:

cockpit 04.jpg
cockpit 01.jpg
cockpit 02.jpg
cockpit 03.jpg
cockpit 04.jpg
cockpit 05.jpg

cockpit 05.jpg

Hopefully this week I´ll be uploading the next badge of the Uhu´s advance so far.

Have a great one

Kalakan

I share everyone's sentiments and am glad to see you back. Great work so far. BTW, the cockpit colour is RLM 66, not 72. 72 was a green colour used on maritime aircraft.

Thank you guys, I really appreciate being back and present a part of my work in a hobby that literally has saved my emotional integrity.

Having said that, the following images corresponds to the location works for the pilot and the radar operator. The Revell kit doesn't have any crew so I had to acquire the 1/32nd Master Box Luftwaffe pilots (with 3 figures) and adapt them to fit in the cockpit. Its relevant to inform that in order that each piece of the crew has to receive a good amount of heat (applied with a small torch) in order to accommodate each crew in place.

As stated in other posts, I really enjoy watching the scale models presented in flight, where the inherent attributes of each kite can really be appreciated; so here are the images of the cockpit while the crew was being accommodating (and behaving) :silly::

First, accommodating the legs in each station

01 monos c.jpg

Then locating the thorax, head and arms in order to know the final position of each crewmember (in order to verify also if the desired position fits in each station due to the amount of levels, gauges and items found in each place).

Also the radar operator will also be using a nice luftwaffe stahlhelm, while operating the radar as can be appreciated in the next pics:

01 monos d.jpg

01 monos e.jpg

It's interesting that after having built the 1/32nd BF 110G and this kite, it's amazing to discover the differences in the cockpit width (where the BF 110 is much smaller) and also due to the fact that a third crew is located in this area.

Then the colours for the crew clothes was decided and implemented based in the info found on the web for the Nachtjagers of around 1944. I also found the 1/32nd decals to identify each Luftwaffe ranks (for the neck, shoulders and arms that will be located once the fuselage is closed).

01 monos f1.jpg

01 monos g.jpg

I'm well aware that most of the details will be not appreciated (if not lost), once the cockpit is closed. Nevertheless the details will be applied to all the surfaces.

01 monos h.jpg

Then the main front panel is located in order to locate the arms of the pilot.

01 monos i.jpg

The the cockpit is presented with half of the fuselage in order to check any misses.

01 monos j.jpg

Thanks for watching guys......

Kalakan

That is an amazing amount of detail. It looks like the real thing. I think there should be a GB for the stuff that is never seen after the plane is closed up. Enter the photos of the cockpits and/or engines before completing the model. Some members can score a win with interiors on the same model that might otherwise come in second or third or not at all, which is a shame.

Would the R/O wear a metal helmet? Great detail!
Hello again Captain Vick.

Somewhere I have a book containing images of the night pilots attire, where it is quoted that several Funkers and rear gunners prefered to use the helmet none the less it was uncomfortable due to the small space where they were seated. Though it was not a standard practice and also it states that the other helmet used was the Fallschirmjäger type.

Cheers my Captain friend

The NASM He 219 I presume? There is a seat for a third person in the rear of the fuselage, believe it or not. There is even a little window for them. I think it was for a mechanic say.

Ah, that's Building 10 back when NASM restorations were performed at Silver Hill's Paul E. Garber Facility - lots of memories there!

I remember the "fresh" camouflage paint inside the wing root appeared pale green and rich, medium green - but it was just an effect of the overhead lighting. The colors trued up in natural light. Last I saw, the aircraft was nearly complete out at the Hazy Center.

Cheers,

Dana

Ah, that's Building 10 back when NASM restorations were performed at Silver Hill's Paul E. Garber Facility - lots of memories there!

I remember the "fresh" camouflage paint inside the wing root appeared pale green and rich, medium green - but it was just an effect of the overhead lighting. The colors trued up in natural light. Last I saw, the aircraft was nearly complete out at the Hazy Center.

Cheers,

Dana

Hi Dana, how goes it? I sure do miss the Archives!

51146071127_c70b798b60_h.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back