1/32 Ki-61-I Hien (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Andy,

I found it difficult to find as well but I got mine from the Barrel Store. These guys are located here in Ontario and they were at a model show that takes place every October in the east end of Toronto. They had a bunch of stuff for sale at their booth including the Plus Model Lead wire so I grabbed some when I was at the show. I normally wouldn't buy this stuff from them on line because as cheap as it is they charge HST and their shipping rates are astronomical for what amounts to about $10 in wire. I still had to pay HST (though they only took cash, funny how that works eh?) but I avoided the shipping charges.

It's still available from them online.

Hope this helps.

Guys,

I have a question.

I have the Eduard photo etched set for the Ki-61. The set includes some self adhesive photetch, ie. dials and such that go on the cockpit side walls. What do you generally do with this stuff. Paint the cockpit side wall first then stick them on? Curiously the left side console panel with the 5 levers for nose gun charging, wing actuator flap etch etc. has its own coloured photoetch piece that your suppose to put on. I beleive this panel was painted in RLM79 but the colour of the photoetch piece is not RLM79. It also has some coloured indicator labels as well. So, I am not sure what to do here. I can leave it off and paint the area normally and try and add the indictor labels myself, or I can put it on after paint the side panel RLM79 but there will be a colour mismatch with the RLM79 paint for the rest of the cockpit. Some of the dials are nice such that I will paint the area first then glue them on/stick them on but this console panel sticky thing has got me flumaxed.

my network connection will not allow me to upload anything for some reason so will have to post a pic later today.

Last edited:
You'll have to either re-paint the stuff that doesn't match color wise or leave it as is :S

What I usually do is paint the parts that aren't etched and after a little distressing with weathering in the cockpit (lighter, darker shades etc) I check the color with the photo etch colors, if there is a huge separation in colors, I either paint over the parts of the photoetch that are the wrong color, or if there isn't too big of a difference, I mimic the weathering on the cockpit to the photo etch part. Sometimes if there is a small difference in colors, you won't be able to notice once the weathering goes on :)

Saving pain and heart ache if in an extra step an error could have been made :D

That is a sticky one David (no pun intended). With the self adhesive I would tend to fit in before painting the side walls even though the RLM79 would not match. Reason is that I do not know how well the self adhesive would work over a paint surface, as with glue on paint there is a likelihood that things will come unstuck. If it was just a 1/48 scale I would not be over worried about the paint mismatch as little will be noticed once the cockpit is sealed up, but I cannot comment on a 1/32 scale. Even so in your scale I would tend to try and match the paintwork while the PE is still on the adhesive backing sheet by painting the PE with a very fine brush and very little paint on the brush, a slow, tedious and delicate process. When dry and sealed, then place onto the side wall and paint round it, again, slow and easy and if spraying, mask well.

I always end up bending stick on PE. it seems to attach itself to everything except what i need it to stick to, and then i bend it as i unstick it. not a fan

Again Michael, self adhesion is one of those innovations that you love or hate. I've used them a number of times in more recent models and as long as you're well prepared in advance to position the piece, things usually go well. If the bit does get skewiff on placing, gentle, sometimes stern pressure to coax it into place by sliding, usually works.

The stick on comes in handy, when done right if the colours is off which it sometimes is you either live with it or carefully paint the areas of the etch to match the rest of the cockpit colour, not hard just need a steady hand, good eye and fine brush...

I have painted regular PE when the colours didn't match. Like Wayne says, can be done with steady hand and patience. If you use acrylic, mistakes can be fixed by scraping off excess with a toothpick.

Guys,

Many thanks to all of your inputs regarding the eduard self adhesive. the majority of the self adhesive PE is for the port side of the cockpit wall. The areas where some of the dials go I will just glue them on after painting. The larger ones I will paint over to match the Mr. Color RLM79 I am using. Hopefully this should work. I got the starboard side wall base painted and glued in place so will post a couple pics of that.

ayrton in car.jpg

Ayrton Senna

Last edited:
Hi Guys,

I have been working on the Cockpit for the KI-61 and was finished doing the left and right side. for the left side I didn't like the original oxygen regulator I made as I thought it was too small so I scratch built another one.I painted the storage bag in a flesh colour then used oils to give it some depth. For the levers on the left side control panel I used the Eduard PE set here but I cut off all the levers and repositioned them as they were all in the up position. For instance the red lever on the far right side is for the landing gear and of course should be in the down position as the landing gear is obviously down. I will do a light wash on both panels once I get the seat and floor done. Let me know what you think.

IMG_0615a800.JPG

IMG_0606a800.JPG

IMG_0600a800.JPG

IMG_0603a800.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back