1/32 Revell Spitfire MKIIa

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Totalize

Tech Sergeant
Hello Gents,

I am back after a fairly long hiatus. Been working on a Normandy Tiger I tank and while I still have to add some figures and put it in a Vignette I wanted to get back to working on my Spitfire.

I started this build off last year and progress was slow but i am hoping to pick things up now that I have the cockpit sorted and complete. I have used a few references indicated below(including the internet) along with feedback from the guys over on LSP however, with all you experts here I should have posted my cockpit build earlier to get feedback as well. Is it 100% accurate? probably not but I am relatively happy with it and its now onward and upward as they say.

The references.

Spitfire-revell.jpg

8-HN-Ac-kits-Airfix-Supermarine-Spitfire-Mk-Ia-1-72-scale-Aero-Detail-No-8.jpg

I am going to be doing the Spitfire that's on the box art. QV-J. Any pictures you guy have of this particular aircraft would be helpful. I believe the "Armagh" decal in the kit is white but in the Mark Styling profile below its yellow. Not sure which one is correct.
qvj.jpg

The kit itself is a good bargain for what you get. It's no Tamiya kit for sure but with some help it can be improved greatly.
The rivet detail is over done on the fuselage so I scraped it all off, filled the area with liquid putty and will be adding new rivets using the Archer raised decals. Here are a couple of pictures.

_MG_2800 a700.jpg
_MG_2801a700.jpg
_MG_2803a700.jpg

Thank Wjotek,

I think your picture is similar to the box art in that it looks like it has the "A" paint scheme. The Profile I posted shows it as having the "B" paint scheme which I suspect is wrong as the "A" scheme was standardized by 1941?

As memo serves the pattern "B" was used by factories for planes with the even serials while the "A" one for those with the odd numbers untill the August 1941. The P 7849 is the odd serial so the "A" scheme seems to be the correct one. After the August 1941 the "A" scheme became the standard camo layout But the colour set was different wasn't it.

Wojtek,

Thanks for your input and timelines for the various paint schemes.

Glenn,
Thanks for checking in and hope you hang in for the ride.

Andy,
Thanks for checking in my friend. Hope to be more of a regular again.

Supermarine mod. 333 was "To delete mirror type camouflage scheme," and is dated 26-4-41. The even/odd : A/B is nothing more than a rough guide and there were many exceptions, you must check your references.

The presentation letters were supposed to be in Medium Sea Grey. I would be surprised if 'Armagh' was yellow as this was expressly forbidden, but I'm not sure exactly when without checking.

Rules were sometimes not followed and I know some early presentation aircraft were marked with the 'wrong' colours, including yellow and white. The allowed size and font of the letters and area to be marked were also frequently ignored.

The best reference for presentation aircraft is 'Gifts of War' by Boot and Sturtivant. Unfortunately my copy is in England and I am in Denmark today :)

Cheers

Steve

Last edited:
Ted Hooton did a load of work on Spitfire camouflage schemes in the late '70s/early 80s. I have somewhere at home an article that resulted.

He listed several serial batches from Supermarine where the A-even/B-odd rule of thumb was reversed. .

For Castle Bromwich built aircraft, for some unknown reason, the A/B scheme serial rule alternated between batches.

The application of the A/B scheme ended after serial number X4912 for Supermarine aircraft and serial number P7810 for Castle Bromwich built aircraft. Manufacturers were asked to complete aircraft in just one scheme and all seem to have opted for the A scheme. Hooton wrote that this occurred in December 1940, which is entirely possible. The modification may have been entered into the Supermarine ledgers sometime later.

Don't forget that the rule of thumb should be reversed for Hurricanes!

Cheers

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back