1/32 Revell Spitfire MKIIa

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Dave, can you explain a little what that last photo represents? It looks like black mottling over the brown/green camo finish but it could also be the brown/green built up partially over a black base.

Hi Guys,
Sorry for the absence. While I was alternating between painting the Dark Green and Dark Earth and letting each dry/cure before moving onto the other I decided to get the props and spinner done. I will have pictures of the aircraft shortly.

Here's the Rotol props and spinner. Props were painted with Mr. Color Lacquers while the spiinner was done with LifeColor RAF Sky blue.
I quite like the Lifecolor paints they go on nice if mixed well and give a finish similar to the Gunze acryls.

I will be doing a MKII spring/Summer 1941 that flew with RAF No.41 Squadron. There were some Canucks in that Squadron. There is also an Sky blue band on the rear fuselage as well.

IMG_0066a700_zpsxioazvmx.jpg

FullSizeRendera700_zpsaajkhts2.jpg

IMG_0068a700_zpskn3mmc0v.jpg

Dave, can you explain a little what that last photo represents? It looks like black mottling over the brown/green camo finish but it could also be the brown/green built up partially over a black base.

Hi John, its the latter, brown, green, grey, desert colours over a black base.

:thumbright:

But still not sure about the colour of the spinner. It seems that it was of the Sky S-type one the fuselage band was too. As the EB-J for instance.

Spit EB-J.jpg
EB_J.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks guys, I agree, the decal and paint instructions from xtradecal specified Sky for the tail band and spinner but Wojtek's pictures of an a/c that is very close to what i will be doing definitely shows what looks like Sky Type S. I think if the spinner was sky it would show up as a slightly darker colour in B/W photos, at least it does when I convert my photos to greyscale for the underside and spinner.

Thanks for pictures especially of the EB-J I never knew those pictures existed. Perhaps xtradecal didn't either but it begs the question why did they specifically suggest this colour for this particular aircraft.

Here is another Spit of 41 squadron coded EB-Z ....it is quite well-known shot of the plane.

EB_Z.jpg

EB_Z-a.jpg
EB_Z-b.jpg

Last edited:
the decal and paint instructions from xtradecal specified Sky for the tail band and spinner but Wojtek's pictures of an a/c that is very close to what i will be doing definitely shows what looks like Sky Type S..

IGNORE...COMPLETELY WRONG AND CONFUSING

See my post #143

Last edited:
Those Rotol props and spinner look great. The information and images of colleagues is very enriching. :read2: :idea:

I follow the process carefully, you are doing very well.

Greetings. :thumbup:

Sky is the colour (hence the capital letter), the 'type S' simply refers to the smooth finish. Sky Blue was a different colour altogether. By the time in question there was no confusion over what the Sky colour was, as there had been on its introduction in June 1940. The instructions for the Day Fighter Scheme specifically require that the fuselage band, spinner and fuselage codes be painted in Sky.

The mistake appeared because of wrong identification of the colour for the spinner and fuselage band by the Xtradecal I would say. Both their decal sheets for Spitfires suggest the Sky blue paint for the ID markings. See the shots below...

XTD32054.jpg

XTRX32053.jpg

Both profiles have the bluish colour applied there. The reason for the mistake is the lighter tone ( comparing to the darker tinge of the code letters and undersides ) of spinners and the fuselage bands seen in the images of the NK-K and EB-J Spits and also the EB-Z. Here a couple of the NK-K pics.

NK-K_1.jpg

NK-K_2.jpg

NK-K_a.jpg

NK-K_b.jpg

Although it is quite difficult to notice in pics of the NK-K and EB-J , the fuselage bands seem to be applied much later than the undersides were painted with the Sky S-type. It can be quite nice noticed in the pic of the EB-Z ( light , freshly painted band and darker undersides because of the weathering ) . IMHO.. no wonder that these bands and spinners are of different tone especially if the paint was applied freshly and from another can of Sky S-type colour than the paint for undersides Also I would say the Xtradecal forgot that the Sky on the undersides was applied much earlier that the colour for spinners and fuselage bands was introduce and just became darker or more dirty because of the weather etc... . Having the spinners black and no bands, these had to be re-painted according to orders. A such correction of colours could be done in the squadrons and didn't require sending planes anywhere.

eb-j_2.jpg

NK-K_3.jpg

eb_z-a.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back