1:32 scale Lancaster Mk.1 Hachette Partworks (3 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks Jan, Terry, Gnomey and Aviatek. We'll forgive Aviatek his mishap with the emoticons as his superb detailing on his own build has probably taken all of his concentration!

I'm currently typing this with my elbows as all my fingers are stuck together. OK, that's a slight exaggeration but as I've been doing a lot of stringing lately, the cyanoacrylate has been taking a bashing. It's amazing, that given a choice between sticking two materials together or sticking one to your flesh, that it's the latter that seem to win every time. I'm thinking of pursuing a new career as a cat burglar as, at this stage all my fingerprints have been dissolved!

I've been preparing the centre section of the fuselage (between the wing spars) for adding the cabin heater units and associated plumbing, to the wings. This involved stringing, and painting before I could make the additions. I don't have great references for the heating ducts and wiring, as what I have is from the BBMF Lanc and the ducts were removed from that. So I'm having to wing it a bit (sorry about the pun). However, progress has been made and I hope to be in a position to post some shots over the weekend.

Till then,

Cheers,

Gerry

Hi Guys,

I'm coming back to you a little later that I had hoped. I ran into some unforeseen problems on the Lanc and also, the gentleman below took up more of my time to paint that I first thought.

This was a 1/32 Cockpit Wings Figure of Adolf Galland I had picked up at the Hendon Model Show earlier this year. I had put him aside as not urgent, then my local IPMS Society was invited to exhibit at the Ulster Aviation Society Open Day last Saturday and I thought that this would be an ideal opportunity to include him in my old Matchbox Bf 109E display. So I was working on him and the Lanc simultaneously and I had to put the Lanc to one side to get him finished in time.

The Lanc also had its moments. As you will remember I was working on the wing heater ducts. Next is a shot from the magazine as to how they saw this looking.

This looked very anaemic to me, compared to the few photo references I have for this area, so I hoped I could improve on their finish. First though, I had to build the duct wing covers. I had already decided to complete both port and starboard sides for efficency, although the magazine separates these to much later issues. Photos 1 2.

Photo 1 shows the basic construction of these parts. Presumably, because of the manufacturing limitations, the ribs come with bottom cross members which have to be cut away and sanded when the cover is assembled and strung.

Photo 2 shows the finished ribs with the bases cut away and metal panels, heater duct inlets and metal end pieces added, ready for painting

I then started on the wiring and cables on the inner wing sections. Photo 3.

The instructions suggest pre-painting the wooden frame before adding the cables but because I have some reference shots of some of these in green I thought that I'd add the throttle/control cables, from brass rod, before I started stringing and painting. Also, as these are control cables they tend to be straight and under tension, unlike the loose feel in the photo from the magazine. The die cast ducts were constantly dry fitted to make sure that they would fit properly with the cables installed.

It was my intention to have the hinged covers moveable so that they could swing open to reveal the ducts and plumbing inside. The instructions allow for this. Unfortunately this is where the unforeseen problem arose. Photo 4.

To allow the wing duct covers to open and close flush to the spar I needed to leave 4mm at both the top and bottom of the spar. This, compared to the real Lanc, doesn't look at all accurate as the full spar height is crammed with plumbing in the references I have. Based on my references (the best of which unfortunately don't have the actual ducts fitted) I tried to 'fill out' the plumbing based on actual photos, as in photo 5.

I think that this looks much more like the real thing but it will be at the expense of being able to close the starboard cover. As it was always my intention to fully skin the port side to show the unbroken line of the Lanc, I have compromised with the plumbing on the port side. I have put in only enough plumbing to allow the cover to open and shut. This gives me the option to show the movable cover closed on that side or, should I think the final model would show better with both covers open, I still could add the extra plumbing at a later date.

Photos 6 7 show how the wings should marry to the fuselage with the covers on 7 posed as they might finally appear.

I also finished stringing and painting the two inner trailing edges, with the black portion being the top inner flap section. Photo 8.

Finally, a couple of shots of how the competed sections are looking at this point. The sections are joined by cocktail sticks and propped up on paint bottles and coins and I've temporarily positioned all the internal detail that's finished and painted. The scalpel and tweezers are just to give some idea of scale. This model is already too big to photograph in my work room and has to be brought to the kitchen table.

That's where I am to date. I think that the next few issues start on the fully retractable undercarriage. That should be interesting.

Cheers,

Gerry

Last edited:
First - very nice work on 'Dolfo', it really looks like him! (need to get that windscreen joint fixed though!)
Superb work on the Lanc, it's looking more impressive every time you do more to her.
Methinks I need to 'pop across' the Irish Sea to have a look close-up, when it's all done !
It's just occured to me, when it is finished, it's going to be a bit of a job moving it around!

Agree with the guys. The Galland figure looks spot on and you got he tunic looking perfect, down to the very flat fabric finish. Not to mention the leather waders!

The Lanc continues or impress Gerry. A couple of years ago, I had seen the CWH Lancaster undergoing a full maintenance of the heater inlet area but I don't think I got any pics. Looks like you nailed it though.

Would look right at home in office of Avro's boss, back in the day, (censored) amazing work Gerry!
As for Herr Galland, better watch it, last I heard, Maria (Bikerbabe) was looking for tickets to Ireland!

Thanks Terry, Hotntot, David, Andy and Jan for your continuing input. I didn't want to digress too much on my 'Dolpho' project, just thought you might be interested in what took up so much of my time for the last couple of weeks. I haven't seen BikerBabe post on the forum recently but maybe this might engage her interest again. Anyhow, if she sees this - I send her my best regards and hope she is keeping well.

As regards heading straight for a museum, well it may have to as I can't see where I'm going to put it at home. But it's early days yet and a lot of water will have to pass under the bridge before any judgement can be made on the quality of the finished project.

Now I'm off to dig the anti tank ditch to impede BikerBabe's imminent arrival.

Last edited:
Thanks, David, Darryl, Gnomey Wurger.

Having said I'd tackle the undercarriage, I found that there was work to be done on the inner engine oil tanks that needed doing first. Again, I worked on both the port and starboard sides in tandem.

The photo shows the wheel well metal rib linings which have been riveted and painted. The triangular oil tank (one had already been installed before I remembered to take the photo). The tanks had the fuel cocks added and the supporting bands from aluminium foil and also, two assembled oil control panels.

The two shots above show the oil tank positioned behind the engine bulkhead. The loose pipe on the fuel tank will be connected to the fuel outlet cocks.

Above are shots of the plumbing connections between the positioned oil control panels and the engine bulkhead. Based on a photo in the Haynes Lancaster manual, these differ considerably from the instructions.

Finally, a shot of the completed assembly port and starboard. I don't know if any of this will be visible in the final model but if it can be, I'll show it. The rib frames haven't been installed yet as I had difficulty with superglue which dries before I can get the whole frame covered. I want to try contact adhesive when I get some.

There are going to be a couple of pauses in the build this month as I am away for a few days and will also have a break towards the end of the month. I will get cracking on the undercarriage in about a week's time and will post shots when I've made progress.

Gerry

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread