1:32 scale Lancaster Mk.1 Hachette Partworks

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks Jan Terry.

Terry and Ian, I appreciate your spending your time in going back through your references for me. Terry, Your conclusions do make a very logical argument as to why the kit has got it right. This is obviously great news and a relief for me and now, I think I'll have that beer!

Sláinte,

Gerry

Here's the Canadian Warplane Heritage's Lanc. Looks square on this one.

IMG_5302 Posted.jpg

I think the width of the red outline might sometimes have an effect on how the shape 'looks'. With the red markings, that one does, indeed, look square. But the hatch itself, if the red is ignored, looks rectangular !

Thanks for your contributions Andy, Darryl, Bill, Wayne and of course, Terry.

I think that on the dinghy compartment shape, my conclusion would be that, as Terry suggests, the earlier models (post Manchester) had the squarer hatch while later builds had more the rectangular shape (always allowing for a certain amount of retro fitting on earlier models). I also suspect that right through to the end of the war both probably co-existed. I appreciate that it's very difficult to tell from photos, because of the low ground level angle of most photos available. The best references would probably be available in air-to-air photos, from directly above or when the subject Lanc is banking very steeply toward the camera, but I've found very few of these. The other interesting point is that the East Kirby Lanc 'Just Jane', which Ian has identified as definitely having the rectangular shape, is a Mk.VII and that may have some relevance, as some were destined for Far East service had the war continued. In my build, which will probable be S-Sugar, the only way to be absolutely sure would be to have a look at the wing at Hendon Museum, but I can't remember that there's any way there of getting high enough.

Anyhow, as Wayne points out, it all makes for an interesting discussion that will hopefully add further to our knowledge of the Lancaster.

Just a quick verbal update of where I am on the build. I have constructed the Camilla bunk and it's got a coat of primer, awaiting the finished colours. Ditto the 8 oxygen cylinders that fit under. I have also started on the reverse side of the pilot's instrument panel, which fits above the bomb aimer's compartment (I'm still following the magazine build sequence which, frustratingly, jumps all over the place). I hope to be able to post some shots of progress by the weekend.

Cheers,

Gerry

Looking forward to seeing the progress pics Gerry. As for the Dinghy hatch, I'd go with what you've got - as has already been proven, it's extremely difficult, if not impossible, to ascertain exactly which aircraft had which hatch and, if for any reason there was a wing center section replaced, an aircraft which started out with a square compartment,could very likely end up with a rectangular one!

Gerry...amazing work , I am constantly amazed by the dedication and search for details on the subject on this site...carry on please..
same for the other builders...a joy to look at the postings..nice community..

Thanks Guys. At last I'm able to post some photos of the recent work. Firstly the Camilla rest bunk. This lies in the fuselage section between the front and rear main spars. I think that the term 'rest bunk' is a bit of a misnomer, as I'm sure it was only ever used when someone was badly injured or wounded. For instance, I can't imagine the pilot ever saying to the engineer; "You take over for a bit, I'm going to the back to catch forty winks..." But that's enough rambling. The shot below shows what comes with the kit. It's all plywood and looks a little thin and I think the joins in the panels look ugly.

Camillascan_zps17aa54c1.jpg

I wanted to make it look more cushioned so I 'upholstered' it using some plastic foam covered in masking tape, while I had a think about the ugly joins.

Camillaupholstered_zpsb16cc0e1.jpg

The next parts tackled were the oxygen cylinders stored under the bunk. These are one piece die cast metal tanks and just needed to be sanded and painted. The signage is from some old decal placards and the dials were just touched in with a sharp pencil, which in the size is more subtle than paint. Have a good look at them, because once they're installed they won't be seen again!

8airbottles_zpsdc49ba7b.jpg

When dry, they were installed under the bunk, one by one. I then decided to panel over the rough joins in the wood rather than filling and painting, which I think looks better.

Camillawithbottles3_zpsa5fdeb1d.jpg

Finally, the next 4 shots show the finished bunk from a couple of angles and how it fits into the fuselage. The instructions advise putting it aside until later in the build - but no indication how much later - which I'll do. I know that there's tanks and pipework to go into that section also and it will be easier to fit those without the bunk in position. Also that entire cruciform section of the fuselage/wings still needs to be painted, which I'll try to get around to soon.

Camillawithbottles2_zps802a0c3b.jpg

Camillaback_zps616389df.jpg

Camillapositioned1_zpsfdefd877.jpg

Camillapositioned2_zps5a94be6e.jpg

So, while I was waiting for various parts of the bunk to dry I had started on the next assembly which is the back of the pilot's instrument panel, with associated wiring. This came as 23 separate parts with the backs of the dials lined up with their contacts either vertical or horizontal and all the receiver holes had to be widened - talk about fiddly! Anyhow, after much swearing, I got it together and when glued, gave it a coat of black paint. When it was dry, the paint was sanded from the raised contacts.

Consoleassembly_zpsda1e05e0.jpg

Consolepainted_zpsb14a76c4.jpg

Then the real fun began, with the wiring. I followed the instructions for this as I have no visual references. Again, the air was turning a distinct tinge of blue, as not only was I attaching the cables but had to strip them down to individual strands and attach those to each contact (see photos). Photo 1 shows the first two layers of wiring. Photo 2 shows the addition of a further layer of yellow wires. Also shown is a tank that sits behind the console. The metal straps for this are made from lead foil, as the instructions had these hanging from thin silver wire which looked wrong.

Consoleblackwires_zps01c74137.jpg

Consoleyellowwires_zpsbf60d54b.jpg

Finally, following the instructions, the console was installed into the nose section, which, first, had to be painted. Not sure what happens to the trailing wires. Hopefully, that will be explained further down the line. Photo 1 shows the console installed and Photo 2 the tank added in front of it - hiding half of the work!

Consolepositioned1_zps5b9e5c4b.jpg

Consolepositioned2_zps62f7923b.jpg

That brings me up to issue 36 now. The next few issues will be doing some more basic work on the wings. Hopefully I'll get going on that and also finish the trailing edge containing the dinghy compartment. I'll post again when I have something interesting to show.

:) Gerry

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone who posted since my last set of photos. I have to say, I felt a little embarrassed with what I posted considering how long it took me, but that's the nature of this build, with lots of very fiddly pieces to be assembled. Unlike a conventional build where you can usually paint all your similarly coloured sub-assemblies in one go, on this one you are jumping all over the place and mixing different colours every day.

Andy, my intention is to fully skin the port side of the aircraft so from that angle it looks complete. I hope to leave substantial cutaways on the starboard side showing wing structure and fuselage interior. That bridge will be crossed a lot later in the build!

And David, thanks for your comment. However, not being an electrical engineer, I wouldn't want to be the one plugging that electrical circuit into the mains!

I've had a good look at the next few issues which contain elements for the hinged leading edge and the cockpit heating ducts for the starboard wing. To me it makes more sense to do these for both wings, so I will dig out the issues that cover these parts for the port wing as well. Before I can assemble these, however, I need to string and paint the relevant wing/fuselage section. You may remember that's the section that contains main fuel tanks. And as a diversion, I also need to paint a 1:32 Adolf Galland figure to go with my old Bf109, which will be going on display at a local aviation show at the end of August. So, please bear with me if it takes a little longer to post the next set of photos.

Gerry

Users who are viewing this thread

Back