1:32 scale Lancaster Mk.1 Hachette Partworks

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

You are going to get in and actually fly this beastie when she's finished....aren't you ! :)

Beautiful work again Gerry! Good to see you keeping at it.

Btw, do you know if the IPMS treasurer sent anything to me yet, thought I would have received the membership docs by now.

Thanks for the warm welcome Gerry. I'm amazed at the camaraderie that has built up on this thread. As a new member, can someone explain the significance of the plane icons that appear in some people's posts? Is it a sign of longevity or number of contributions?

Thanks for the warm welcome Gerry. I'm amazed at the camaraderie that has built up on this thread. As a new member, can someone explain the significance of the plane icons that appear in some people's posts? Is it a sign of longevity or number of contributions?

Those are participation icons in the Group Builds model section. Welcome to the forum.

Geo

Thanks to everyone who posted since my last visit. It's always nice to see some old friends looking in. Evan, I've sent you a belated PM in response to your query. Hope it's sorted by now.

I've been progressing slowly with the build, although still trying to keep up to building two issues a week. The problem is, some issues contain a lot - others very little. Anyhow, here's an update as to how I've been getting along.
Starboard%20wing%201_zps9o6ahnj3.jpg

Starboard%20wing%203_zps3ob5jfu5.jpg

The construction of the outer starboard wing took up two issues. As I want to show this partially cutaway, I felt I needed to enhance the interior detail. All of the ribs arrived solid but according to my cutaway drawings of the Lanc, most were drilled out. The ribs for the tailplanes for the kit came pre-drilled but the main wings didn't. This is the sort of inconsistancy with this kit that drives me nuts.
A B are the different drillings for the ribs. Some, that I know are going to be hidden, I didn't bother drilling. I also added strengthening bars to the ribs. These are plastic rod (both sides) C. For the purpose of the cutaways, the wings have deliberately been only partially stringed.

D is just for information – and puzzlement. These are the main spars, cut to an angle, so that when they line up with the matching spars on the inner wing, they give the correct dihederal. The looming problem is that they just butt up to each other and are then sandwiched with wooden shims either side. That and some stringers are what's supposed to attach the wings firmly to the rest of the aircraft. This I believe will need some major extra reinforcing but options are limited with a fuel tank on one side and the undercarriage bay on the other. It's a problem for later in the build, but all suggestions gratefully considered!

The reverse angle just shows the control rod mechanism for the aileron and trim tabs, added from plastic rod A.

Fuel%20tank%20doors_zpsn3wxxjbf.jpg

Next to be assembled were the two bottom access doors for the intermediate and outboard fuel tanks. I received all three tanks for this wing but only the main inner tank fort the port wing. However, that shouldn't be a problem as the port wing will be fully skinned. These will eventually be painted after they're skinned.

Fuel%20tanks_zpsom55regq.jpg

Then came the two outer wing tanks, strapped and valved. I steered away from the suggested positioning of the valves from the instructions, as the diagrams I had from Lancaster manuals showed them in a different position. These are closer to what appeared in the documents – and these will be partially seen in the finished model.

Starboard%20wing%20tanks_zps2hpqj8gz.jpg

Starboard%20wing%20cutaway_zpsjbxuo7oa.jpg

Next was to dry fit the tanks to check they fitted. They fit like a glove. Then I thought I'd try a little computer enhancement to give some idea of the type of cutaways I have in mind for the outer wing, showing the tanks and aileron control rods. As the wing tip is solid, I won't be able to show any detail further out. That brought this section of the build to a finish for the present. Next task was to tackle some detail.

Air%20bottles_zpserm80ryg.jpg

Three air bottles are added to the starboard inner wing. Again, these were only supplied for the starboard wing. In reality I assume the were also on the port wing? These probably won't be seen in the finished model, except through the wheel well, but they'll be there. As you can also see, I've started to test fit the undercarriage. I'm still considering whether I can adjust it to make it look more corrrect, as it's supposed to be completed in a few issues. But I'll come back to discuss what's involved – and my concerns - when I reach those issues.

The next detail was purely optional. I found the references for it on pps 120/121 in the SAM Lancaster Guide, if you have access to it. It's a flare pistol housing.

Flare%20shelf%201_zpshbuyccxn.jpg

It sits on the shelf over the front spar, behind the radio operator's position. The shelf and unit were made with bits from the spares box and plastic card. The pistol is a 1:35 service revolver with a hollowed barrel from plastic rod. It measures no more than 1cm in length.

The final shots show it in position on the spar, from the cabin and looking forward from the rest bunk, with the cabin matched up. The pistol is removable but will be tricky to access when everything is assembled.

Flare%20shelf%202_zpsolawntgj.jpg

Flare%20shelf%203_zps9snnnylk.jpg

Putting this in raised some questions in my mind. There is a circular firing hatch in the roof behind the wireless operator. What about on the exterior? Was there a fabric patch as on the Spitfire? If so, was it in red or painted the camouflage colour?

The other question is about the photo flare chute opposite the crew entry door. Again what was the exit hole like in the fuselage? I've never come across any reference for it that I'm aware of.

In the background also I'm riveting and preparing skins but am holding off till I can paint a good batch of them so nothing to show there. I'll post again in a couple of weeks when, hopefully, I've made some further progress.

Sláinte,

Gerry

Last edited:
Great stuff Gerry !
Sorry for the late response - I'm still bl**dy stiff and sore, with little energy - seems no end to it !
The flare pistol hatch was just that - a hatch with a hinged alloy cover which could be opened and closed, hinging, AFAIK, inwards.
Co-incidentally, I've just been researching the flare chute styles and the exit position and shape, for when I build my Yamiya 1/48th scale Lanc.
The exit for the (later) flare chute opposite the entrance door, was directly below the chute, port side, and was a 'rounded' rectangular (i.e semi-oval) hatch cover, which slid open on firing the flare chute. Immediately forward of the aperture there was a guard, or 'windbreak', which protruded below the fuselage a few inches to create 'dead air' for the flare's exit from the chute. I've seen this in both 'angular' and curved forms, and there's a photo of the one on 'Just Jane' (angular) on page 119 of the 'SAM' guide, pic number 15.
Hope this helps, and looking forward to the next installment.

The formidable professorship continues !! :read2:
Makes me want to walk through these halls ...
Congratulations Gerry, keep an eye on your progress ...

Saludos :thumbup:

Excellent work once again Gerry. I'll take a glance through the manual at the museum to see if I can answer your questions in any more detail than Terry has already provided.

As for the spar, I'm thinking that some form a lap joint with the existing would and some brass sheet might give you some added strength.

Pin up Girls look totally in keeping

Thanks Herman, I tried to make sure that they were from the period.

Thanks to everyone who posted for your prompt response and particularly to Terry and Andy for their helpful contributions. Terry good to see you back posting. Well spotted on that reference in the SAM manual. I'd missed it. I'll also check S-Sugar next time I'm in Hendon. Now that I know what I'm looking for I'll check if they still retained it there.

Terry, if you get time, could you also look at the photo of the flare pistol in firing position in the SAM manual, Page 122, photo 60 and give me your opinion whether this was a standard fitting on the interior.

Andy, It'll be interesting to hear if your Lanc has a similar fitting on the main chute. I'll definitely be looking for help when I get to joining the wings and will post photos of what's involved. There isn't much area to reinforce, which is my main worry. It's hard to describe but hopefully when the problem is visible some solution might suggest itself.

Kind regards,

Gerry

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back