1:32 scale Lancaster Mk.1 Hachette Partworks

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Great to see you and your Lanc back after such a terrible set back Gerry.
Happy New Year to all from Australia.

Looking forward to seeing your engine mount modification, it wont be easy but a huge improvement over what Hatchet gives you. A brave man indeed.
Gerry, what are your thoughts on the Merlin engines provided with the kit and what if any modifications are you planning to do to them?

Dear Gerry, it gives me great pleasure to see you again with your amazing Avro. What I just read about the incident you suffered with your work; It is admirable the decision you took to continue, ... it is not easy to overcome the frustration of losing much of what was achieved until then. I will continue to be very attentive to continue enjoying.

An cinneadh atá déanta agat é, cinnte a spreagadh roinnt a mbeadh faoi choinníollacha a chosúil bheith éirithe. Cara maith agat as do shampla agus bliain nua sásta. Beannachtaí ó Mheicsiceo.

:thumbup:

Last edited:
Looking forward to seeing your engine mount modification, it wont be easy but a huge improvement over what Hatchet gives you. A brave man indeed.
Gerry, what are your thoughts on the Merlin engines provided with the kit and what if any modifications are you planning to do to them?

Thanks Tim and everyone else who posted since my last update. A particular thank you to Luis Carlos for his greetings, in Irish, from Mexico.

Tim, I take your point about modifying the engine mount. It is indeed proving to be trickier than I originally thought as the model framework is not designed to take the weight of the cast iron engine, propeller and spinner, the original wooden mount being designed to do this. I'm currently experimenting with methods of 'connecting' the front and rear sections of the support framework, through the firewall - the original being a single unit - without pinning through the engine firewall, as the pins would be seen. I'll post an update with photos when I've got a bit further along in my efforts.

As for the engines, I was hoping to use the parts supplied as a starting point. The port side engines won't be a problem as they will be be within the cowls. The exposed engine(s) will be plumbed and wired so the actual engine will be partially hidden by the clutter but I'm hoping that they won't need major surgery.

Tim, from your remarks, it sounds that you have built or partially-built this kit? If so have you spotted any major errors on the engines supplied and have you posted a build log anywhere of your build progress? Would love to see it if you have.

Cheers,

Gerry

Wow, great save Gerry! I think I would have disappeared into the bottom of a Jamesons!!

Darryl much Jameson's and other beverages have passed under the bridge since I started this build. I have also just booked an armoured car to remove the swear box to the bank!!

Gerry

Hi Gerry, yes I also have this kit and have been working on it off and on for a couple of years although progress is slow and I'm way behind your build. The kit engines will look ok when built but it's a shame the rocker covers are cast with the heads and block as they are the main problem, wrong shape, missing detail at the front on each side, no RR script on the outside of each one. Also the exhausts and air intake are cast solid. I've seen some nice resin exhausts and rocker covers but as you know replacing the rocker covers would require the use of an angle grinder! Perhaps when HK Models release their 32nd scale Lanc there may be more options.
Gerry, your work is of the highest standard and I thank you for taking the time and effort in posting your progress, if mine is half as good as yours I'll be very happy. Oh, and no, there is no build log of mine but could post a pic here if you wish( if l can work out how)

regards
Tim.

Tim, Thanks for your kind remarks and update. It would be great if you could post some photos. And thanks to everyone else who has posted and helps contribute to keeping this thread interesting.

I had completely missed that the exhausts are solid. Again, it won't be a problem on at least two of the engines, as they will be covered with the cowling flame dampers. On the others, I'll have a look at drilling the ends with a mini-drill bit if it's not too time consuming. Otherwise I'll check to see if there's a solution in resin exhausts for the Merlin engine. I'll also have a good look at the rocker covers to see if I can at least disguise some of the imperfections. I feel that I have a good number of references, both modern and historical, on the Merlin XX series for detail and I think that I could print up decals to simulate the Rolls-Royce badges on the sides.

To come back to progress on the build, I've been working on a solution to displaying the outer engine mount to make it look more accurate. Here you can see the work in progress. The heavy wooden brackets supplied are totally inaccurate and need to be removed as has already happened on the left side of the frame.

P1080805_zps6v5dvrjm.jpg

In the actual aircraft, the front and rear sections of the frame are one continuous piece and the rear engine bulkhead is suspended from them. In the kit the bulkhead is mounted to the wooden supports and the front section of the cradle is pinned to the bulkhead through drilled holes.

P1080804_zpsdkcdgve5.jpg

My preferred solution is to leave two narrow strips about 1.5mm deep, from the wood mounts, as supports to butt against the rear section of the metal frame. The metal frame should then hide the thin brackets. The original bracket was used to position the bulkhead accurately, then cut away. I had to start the detailing of the bulkhead rear before I attached it. The control panel and some cables are attached to the back and a number of holes are drilled to allow for pipes etc, when the engine is eventually mounted. You can see the two reduced brackets clearly on this photo.

P1080809_zpsgqumeqbh.jpg

Before the two sections were joined the oil tank was positioned and the two halves of the frame joined. I used the capillary action of very thin cyanoacrylate (super glue) to attach the metal frame to the outsides of the wooden brackets on the bulkhead and the rear section is pinned, through the wings, for added strength. These next two shots are of the completed unit attached to the wing underside.

P1080812_zpsd8j6wohr.jpg

P1080816_zpsprhxfpef.jpg

Finally, the assembly as it stands. I did as much detail work as I could to the front of the bulkhead, as it was easier to reach before I attached it. Pipes and cables will be added when the engine is installed, depending on available room. Also fire extinguishers will be added to the frame, beside the oil tank.

P1080817_zpsqthrajq4.jpg

Visually, this seems a reasonable solution to the original problem. A test fit has shown that it will take the weight of the cast iron engine, propeller and spinner if handled gently. How robust it will be to rough treatment, only time will tell, but I'm hopeful it'll withstand all normal movement. If it doesn't, extra pins through the bulkhead will be tried.

That's it for now. I think that I now move on to a period of skinning which, if I follow the instructions, will be in patches on different sections of the fuselage. I'm aiming to skin the entire fuselage as a unit and also allow for the starboard side cutaways, all in one go. I'll post again when I feel that I have made sufficient progress to make it interesting.

Gerry

Last edited:
I love this thread. Great work once again Gerry.

Incidentally, we have the number 1 engine pulled on our Lanc in Nanton so if you want any detail pics let me know. The firewall is in plain view now and the engine easily accessible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back