1:32 scale Lancaster Mk.1 Hachette Partworks

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hi everyone,

I've been working on the bomb bay since my last post. I had thought that I would have finished this section by now but it's taken longer than I thought – not helped by taking one step forward and two steps back in some cases. I was going to hold off on posting until I had finished but feel that an interim update is required at this point.

I wanted to start by detailing the sidewalls of the bomb bay with the many pipes and cables apparent from this reference.

90f83c27-0706-48af-8ef1-64e794b5199b.jpg

A further great reference was the comprehensive series of photos in the Nanton Lancaster's bomb bay, taken by Andy (Crimea_River), posted to this thread on page 8, post no 157. This gave me a great idea of the pipe runs and the amount of them.

I started with various lengths of painted brass rod and plastic rod.

44ff7e89-1196-4620-b413-3552b9b4776a.jpg

I simulated the joints with white painted chrome tape. In retrospect, this needs to be toned down by weathering, as it looks very stark against the black pipes. My original intention was to pre-assemble all the pipes of the run on brackets and then introduce them into the bay. After a few failed attempts I abandoned this idea and mounted them individually, pipe by pipe, directly into the sidewall. This was time consuming and fiddly but successful in the end. Below is the completed portside wall.

7fc08715-b90c-4afe-b4f1-ae7777f8b02f.jpg

The next step was to work on the payload. Here are the pre-assembled, painted, bomb load. These are too pristine and need dirtying down. I am experimenting with the hair spray painting method and have already exposed some rusting on some of the tail fins. Most bomb loads, that I have seen references for, were really scuffed and dirty.

be6c377d-f368-4363-9c2a-837133ccbd75.jpg

To complete the payload I felt that it would be more accurate to have some incendiary SBCs (Small Bomb Containers) 4lb sticks as in the ref below.

4b6cf5c0-2563-4470-8ee7-8fa9bd152b71.jpg

These were scratch-built from five strips of angled plastic strip on a plastic card base. The containers are strips of spare skinning metal shaped into boxes and detailed with plastic strip.

ade66ddc-0ecd-4177-9416-e886e0023a30.jpg

The idea was to simulate the coloured sections of the incendiary sticks with home printed decals but this wasn't particularly successful, so I think they'll need painting.

The final part of the bomb load is the 4000lb cookie. The one supplied needed work to eliminate the gaps between the sections – more correct for an 8000lb bomb but the wrong shape. The masking for the coded strips has been started. Here also you can just see the failed attempt at decaling the incendiary sticks. The decal film was just too thick to follow the contours of the angles and despite many coats of Decal Soft the decals broke up.

4eaeade3-2e83-4c2d-a91b-fd5fcb28c075.jpg

The bomb bay doors have both been finished and painted. The one on top is the outside of the starboard door. Here I have exposed the structure of the interior with some scratch-building, using shaped plastic card and strip. The metallic finish needs to be toned down a tad. The bottom door is showing the interior of the port door. The exterior is fully skinned. These doors won't be mounted until the rest of the bomb bay is completed.

3d780e45-7dff-4b6a-91d8-ba4e3a1dcf92.jpg

Finally, here are some shots of my intended position for the bomb load (this could change between now and the final fit). The plumbing on the sidewall is now less obvious with the payload in position.

1aa92344-d5a6-4ad1-b7b8-351db7a2c976.jpg

d95e8d0c-2445-4b80-ba1b-c295032cc49b.jpg

944e0302-fa5f-44b0-9ce2-bf55065f2f5c.jpg

I now need to take another short break from this build but will follow through on completing the bomb bay when I return.

Gerry

Last edited:
I agree with everybody. :shock:
Gerry, does not cease to be an awesome job, wow !, we will pay attention to the following surprises.

Saludos con cariño hasta Dublin :thumbup:

I think that's a great build...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back