1/32 Trumpeter Me 262A-1a "Yellow 3"

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

3 days til my two week trip overseas so I've wound things down on the 262 build. One small detail that I've worked on is the wiring harness that spans from the circular tub to the wheel well sidewalls. Aires provides little resin twigs (of which one went missing) to bridge this gap but I thought it'd be more convincing to use some more wire.
IMG_2479.jpg

I picked up this guy from Ebay that was on sale for $8. This is a CMK 1/32 resin figure of Waldemar Wubke sitting in a folding chair. I thought I'd take my first stab at painting a figure. Figures are a whole different thing of which I know nothing about, so I'm just kind of winging it and seeing how it goes. The chair was a bit of a challenge to cobble together. Warped resin plus none-too-positive attachment points... I just had to glue one joint at a time and hoped that all of the cross members would straighten each other out. Which they did, for the most part.
IMG_2478.jpg

The glued the different body parts together with CA glue and smoothed out the joints with some putty. The figure was then primed it and I've just started painting by spraying the pants intermediate blue. Prior to that, I painted the chair frame tan and then brushed some dark brown and red oil paints on it to simulate wood grain. I'll let that dry before painting the canvas part.
IMG_2480.jpg

I thought it'd be easier to paint the head by itself so I've not attached it yet. The head was painted with Tamiya and Gunze acrylics. Dry-brushing doesn't work very well at this small size so to smooth out the shading transitions, I used a brush dabbed with some color and iso alcohol to perform the blending. After painting, the head as given a spritz of flat to knock down the shiny pink skin.
IMG_2481.jpg

Head on a stick... looks kinda zombie-ish. Hopefully, it'll look more human once I finish painting the body and I stick the head on.
IMG_2482.jpg

A couple of view of the head in better lighting.
IMG_2483.jpg

IMG_2484.jpg

And here's the painted head attached to the partially painted body.
IMG_2490.jpg

The harnesses have been slightly repositioned and given a dark wash. Came out a little too dirty but I was unable to remove any more since it seems the wash stained the fiber material.
IMG_2492.jpg

Nice start on the figure John. I've never done one properly either - all that shading and highlight stuff a bit of a mystery but I'm sure with a bit of research you'll pull it off well.

I think you did an exceptional job on the figure. I too don't have any faith in my figure painting, and if I did my first attempt that well, I'd be quite pleased.

And, just read the whole thread and it's going to be a terrific model and you're doing a wonderful job.

I'm wondering, just how much of the oleo strut is exposed when a plane is loaded and at rest? It would seem to me that it would at the mid-point since there needs to be something left to absorb the landing shock and yet, you can always see them drop fully when the wheels leave the ground.

The instrument panel is wonderful. How much of the behind-the-panel detail is seen in the finished model?

Last edited:
Thanks guys!

Here's the completed chair. I used the Silhouette Portrait for the US Army stencil.

IMG_2493.jpg

IMG_2496.jpg

And the completed figure in the chair.

IMG_2497.jpg

IMG_2498.jpg

That's it for me for a while. I'll be resume this build when I return from my trip.

It is a very satisfactory result; John, you must be very satisfied because it is your first attempt with a figure. The photography is great and will give a distinctive unique to your 262.
I really enjoyed my Me-262 in 1/48 and the details made it very fun, ... with your talented skills and in 1/32, it will be a delight to learn from your progress and the formidable interventions and contributions of the boys of the neighborhood.

Brindo por ello!! :salute:

Nicely done on the figure John, especially as it's your first attempt. One very minor suggestion though - see if you can reduce the sheen on the trousers a bit. If a matt coat leaves a slight 'frosting' effect, that's an advantage, as it simulates the texture of the cloth nicely.
I've seen some really excellent figures in dioramas, that have been partly spoiled by the sheen on the clothing, but yours looks the biz overall.
Coincidentally, Wubke is the subject for one of my Bf109E builds for my BoB collection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back