1/32 Trumpeter Me 262A-1a "Yellow 3"

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Very nice job. I especially like how highlighting the edges of the glass looks. Very simple but really adds a lot of interest!

Thanks guys! I did some work on the nose wheel well, which is from the kit. The orifice is long, deep and narrow, making it difficult to work with but fortunately it is split in half between top and bottom, which gave me an opportunity to add some wiring. The detail on the top of the wheel well is a photoetch piece from the Aires set.

IMG_2598.jpg

The nose wheel well, like the main wheel well, is a joint assembly featuring the structures above it, in this case, the nose gun bay. My bird will be buttoned up so I am not going to do any work on the guns.

IMG_2599.jpg

Here is a view into the painted nose wheel well after assembly.

IMG_2600.jpg

I've been thinking about how to add the brake line to the landing gear. When attached prior to painting, the brake line always gets in the way of painting so I decided to try something new. I've added small pieces of brass tubing to the nose landing gear leg to serve as connection points for the brake line.

IMG_2601.jpg

After painting the legs, I can string lead wire through the brass tubing to represent the brake lines. I've added some brass tubing to the retraction arm as well. The photo below shows what the parts look like with the lead wire in place. At this point, the wire pieces are removable.

IMG_2603.jpg

That seemed to be a workable plan so I did something similar to the main gear legs.

IMG_2604.jpg

It is an excellent idea, take advantage of the brass tubes, in addition to that it gives a much better appearance. :idea:
It is very instructive what you are adapting to your bird.

Interesante trabajo John :thumbup:

A good solution for that scale but not possible in 1/48 methinks. When you get to the main gear jacks, the hydraulic hoses will be thicker than on the nose gear.

ae7e8bc02811a6346fca57d501ab70c1.jpg

That's a good idea John. I usually leave addition of brake lines until after painting and weathering of the legs but using the brass tube as locators avoids the risk of messing things up with glue.

Gracias, senors! I'm taking slow baby steps on this 262 build. Lots of things happening around the house that's distracting me from totally diving into this build but hopefully, that'll clear up soon.

The landing gear legs have been painted. I start by painting the shiny metal parts first. Alclad Chrome is my preferred shiny metal finish. It goes on top of gloss black. I've been playing around with different paints on this build. Mainly Mr Hobby Acrylics but for the gloss black I tried Mr Color Lacquer thinned with Mr Color Leveling Thinner. I'm using the metal nose gear strut so the shiny metal portion is simply masked off. I thinned the Mr Color Lacquer Black with Tamiya Lacquer Thinner and got a satin finish... interesting.

IMG_2605.jpg

After the Alclad Chrome was sprayed, the appropriate sections were masked off. The legs were then sprayed Tamiya RLM Grey. Portions of the legs were brush-painted with a lightened RLM Grey to give the legs a more detailed look. The paint was sealed with Alclad Aqua Gloss and the legs were given a dark pastel wash.

IMG_2607.jpg

Until Andy had mentioned it, I had forgotten about the actuating arms for the main landing gear so I snipped them off the sprue and cleaned them up. These arms come molded with small pins that I can use to mount wiring later on. The ends of these pins were hollowed out with the x-acto knife.

IMG_2609.jpg

Thanks for the comments! The main gear actuating arms have been painted. Here are all of the landing gear components presented together. The brake lines still need to be added and I may give them a bit of weathering before I call them done.

IMG_2654.jpg

I made up some pre-painted wiring harnesses for the main wheel well bay. Still thinking about how I want to go about painting and assembling the wheel bay components.

IMG_2652.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back