1/350 USS Princeton CVL-23 - Unofficial GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

From the National War in the Pacific and Nimitz Museum in Fredericksburg, Texas, the Princeton plaque.

aowpri1.jpg

Well, I've mustered up some courage and a few more references and decided to take the plunge with this kit. In addition to all of the helpful references linked above and those sent by Wayne and Geo, I got myself a copy of the Classic Warship Publications Warship Pictorial #40 that has some excellent detail shots of Princeton's sister ship, the USS Independence.

I'm only on the first step of the build and have already encountered a couple of mishaps. After the first photo below was taken, I dropped the stack with all the detail parts on it and, of course, the PE bracing and two other tiny parts broke of onto my concrete floor and I searched successfully and reassembled everything to take the second pic.

Then, I pinged one of the stack shrouds somewhere into a distant corner of my work area but managed to find that as well so, before I go much further, I think I will rearrange my work area and cover some catch areas to minimze the chance of losing one or more of the 1300 plus remaining bits. Anyway, here's the start, and yes, I'll remember to put my white balance back to tungsten light for the next round:

16092501.jpg
16092502.jpg

This build will likely be an off-and-on affair as I may want to get back to working with parts bigger than my finger nail clippings after a while but, in the meantime, hopefully I'll get a bit of progress done on this project before I get to that point.

Thanks for your patience everyone and fire me any constructive criticism along the way.

Don't think so Wayne. Having too much "fun" as it is. To anyone who is not comfortable working with PE, do NOT attempt this at home!!!!

PE not only stands for "Photo-etch" but could also be construed as "Patience Extraodinaire"! Here is the island as it looks today after many additional hours of cutting, bending, and gluing the PE mast structure, not to mention making sure to sequence things properly to allow for assembly of all the required bits yet to come, including stuff not mentioned in the instructions. There will still be sections of ladder as well as electrical conduits added to snake through the structure - after I take a breather to allow my eyes to refocus on objects further than 8 inches away and to allow my hands to stop shaking!

16100301.jpg
16100302.jpg

Thanks Geo. It's challenging my abilities for sure and that's making this a good experience so far, despite my sarcastic description above. I was truly inspired by some of the ships I saw at the show on Saturday and I hope I can get close to achieving the same kind of results.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back