1/48 Accurate Miniatures B-25B

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Starting to look like a B-25B! The tails and wings are on. The fit was pretty good. Some very minor filling of small gaps was required. I then turned to the bomb bay doors. The photo etch parts completely replace the kit parts. Each door consists of five pieces. I used an aluminum handle of an Xacto knife to place and shape the curve of the door to match the fuselage. The inside of the doors were painted bright aluminum then weathered slightly with black pastel chalk. I am now working on the landing gear. The photo etch details have been added to the struts.

You can see more photos and follow the build log at 1/48 B-25B "Doolittle Raider"

DSCN1247A.jpg

DSCN1252A-e1546349937483.jpg

DSCN1254.jpg

DSCN1255.jpg

DSCN1257.jpg

Attachments

• DSCN1247A.jpg
    DSCN1247A.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 39
  • DSCN1252.jpg
    DSCN1252.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 35
  • DSCN1254.jpg
    DSCN1254.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 34
  • DSCN1255.jpg
    DSCN1255.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 32
  • DSCN1257.jpg
    DSCN1257.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Continuing forward the bomb bay doors have been now installed. The landing gear has been detailed and installed. I added the crew hatches and other details to the bottom. The bottom has been base coated with neutral grey and the top base coated with OD green. Need to tape off for the boot black areas and add some details to the top then move on to the decals.

More photos in the build log at https://davidsscalemodels.com/build-log/1-48-b-25b-doolittle-raider/

dscn1263.jpg

dscn1266.jpg

dscn1268.jpg

dscn1269.jpg

This has been a difficult week on the B-25B. Calling this the good, the bad , and the ugly week. The good is paint and decals done. The aircraft is nearly done with the exception of some minor details. I will be mounting it onto a resin base that looks like the deck of the USS Hornet. It will be tied down just like it was on its journey across the Pacific. The base is the Eureka XXL USN Aircraft Carrier Wooden Deck Base. It comes with a resin insert, wooden frame, and steel arresting cables. It is very nice and very detailed. I used a teak colored primer then top coated it with deck blue. I weathered it using some sandpaper and pastel chalk. The fit of the kit has been very good with minimal gaps.
The bad is the decals. The kit decals are poor. They are slightly off register and very thick. I had a rough time getting them to adhere to the model.
And finally for the ugly part. The Ruptured Duck logo aside from being difficult to adhere also was not very accurate and the coloring is wrong. It actually came off while I was painting the recognition and formation lights. After some internet searching I found the logo that closely resembles the original (as described in the book "Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo") and was used on the aircraft from the movie. I had to make my own decal for this. It looks a lot better than the kit decal.
Stay tuned as I near completion of this kit representing a historic aircraft.
You can see all the build photos at 1/48 B-25B "Doolittle Raider"

dscn1272.jpg

dscn1273.jpg

dscn1274.jpg

dscn1277.jpg

dscn1280.jpg

dscn1283.jpg

... It actually came off while I was painting the recognition and formation lights..."

View attachment 525345
Sorry to be too late with any information, but it might help somebody else. The recognition lights on the B-models were not under the wing, but in front of the bomb bay. AFAIK the first 2 blocks of the C-models had the older arrangement as well. The latter is shown in the scheme below. BTW the airplanes used in the movie "Ten seconds over Tokyo" were later D-models (for those who have or haven't watched it).
B-25C_Drecognitionlights.jpg

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back