1/48 Airfix Hawker Hurricane Mk1

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

THX :)

It might seem these buckles can be beyond you.But it is not true and the microscope isn't needed at all. A magnifying glass ( glasses) is enough ,a thin needle or drill and tweezers.

Last edited:
Wow... that is awesome. Tigerdriver, when you paint the windows free hand you can clean up the edges with a wooden toothpick or wooden match with a sharp edge. The wood is able to scrape off the excess paint without damaging the plastic windows. :)

Good improvement on the canopy. The seat belts, made from foil and wire, are a lot easier than you think, it just takes a little time, and above all, patience.
If you have a look at the decal sheet, you'll find there is a decal for the instrument panel. If you have doubts about it settling onto the raised detail, without decal solvent, then it can be cut out, still on the backing paper, and glued into position. OK, it'll look a bit 'flat' that way, but more than good enough for viewing through a closed canopy.
To help for future builds, always look at everything provided in the kit, test fit, test fit test fit, and plan ahead for each stage of the build. If potential problems show up in the test-fitting, then you are pre-warned, and can plan and then execute a solution. This 'planning' should be in the form of 'How can I do this? What if..?" etc.

I agree with Airframe's post above. And one more tip...that's true it is easier to paint parts of a model when these are still sitting in mould frames. However it is not the best way of it. I'm sure you can ask me why... firstly, you have to cut off pieces that had already been painted. It can't be done without damages to a paint layer. So you have to paint these areas twice.Usually it is a good opportunity of going wrong with painting. About removing of traces of a sprue I don't mention at all because sanding is needed for that mostly. Secondly, fitting of parts...what will you do if painted parts don't fit correctly?
Thirdly, almost all glues damage or destroy a coat. ALso a paint makes sticking quite difficult or makes it impossible. And finally every touch of painted part with fingers makes the paint layer dirty ( often, finger prints appear on them) and causes getting of a glossy surface. Also a very small drop of a glue you won't notice on your fingers can cause a disaster....Am I right?

Last edited:
thanks for the pointers

i am sort of grateful and nervous all at once

last time i did this was 25 years ago when i was about 15, its gonna take a while to catch up with some of the skills on show here

no progress tonight, tapas beer and spanish red have stopped play

You'r welcome Mate. :)

Please, be patient and quiet. There is no need of being nervous. Feel free to ask. It is better to ask twice than to be mistaken once.

Last edited:
happy0034.gif

You're doing very well TD and you have some great brains working for you.

On the canopy masking, another method I've recently read about, so as yet it's untried by me. The guy placed a wide Tamiya masking tape over the panel, with a pencil followed the outline of the frame, he was not keen on using a sharp knife for fear of slipping and scoring the plastic, he removed the tape and then cut it on a firm surface and then reapplied it to the canopy. I may give it a whirl on my next GB, so I'll let you know how it goes. Failing that, I do tend to do a lot of canopy painting by hand.

Another way is to paint strips of tape, lightly stuck to a smooth surface (glass is good), then cut them to the required size(s), and apply them to the canopy. Seal them with clear gloss (Future/Klear) and, when dry, run the dull coat along with a fine brush. If you're nervous about the last stage, then omit the clear gloss. As long as the painted strips are burnished down, they should stay put. I've got a 1/48th Ju88 done this way, about twenty years ago, and the tape hasn't moved.
And don't worry, there are a lot of us here who have had long breaks from the hobby, myself included, so we know what it's like.
The only dumb question is the one you don't ask !

ok next thrilling episode

put the main structures together

yes i did straighten the seat up after i took the pics ;)

needs a bit of work with the filler and sandpaper over the weekend once its settled down

then it will be ready for my first ever go with the airbrush

modellers of a nervous disposition may need to look away

ok next thrilling episode

put the main structures together

yes i did straighten the seat up after i took the pics ;)

needs a bit of work with the filler and sandpaper over the weekend once its settled down

then it will be ready for my first ever go with the airbrush

modellers of a nervous disposition may need to look away

Attachments

• DSC01082.JPG
    DSC01082.JPG
    78.4 KB · Views: 138
  • DSC01083.JPG
    DSC01083.JPG
    77.2 KB · Views: 145
  • DSC01087.JPG
    DSC01087.JPG
    38.5 KB · Views: 140
havent died or given up

had some poorly dad issues , so time has been short and what little i have had i have devoted to practising painting with an airbrush

not so easy if you have never done it before, its sort of a case of trial and error both to get a feel for the technique and to see what variables do what

Users who are viewing this thread

Back