1/48 B17G Flying Fortress [Revell]

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I agree with Wojtek, good work so far. There are some moulding seam marks on the gun barrels that you might want to get rid off though - they'll really show up when the model is painted. Check your references for the interior, as many B17G's were unpainted internally, with just some of the framework and fittings in Interior Green. The doors into the bomb bay were varnished plywood BTW.

I guess by flash I meant those seams, yeah they're gone. The instructions say to paint the whole internal fuselages aluminum, how would one produce varnished plywood? :D

For the plywood, just use a light brown or tan colour - the wood grain wouldn't be visible in that scale. The instructions are more or less correct for the interior in aluminium; the cockpit was painted, mainly Interior Green, as were the seats, with the cockpit soundproof cladding in a paler green. The seat-back cushions, if fitted, were dull yellow. All fittings such as seats, tables, racks etc, the top turret and the bomb racks were Interior Green, and often the entire bomb bay was also, as on earlier aircraft. Ammunition boxes were wood, so paint as per the doors into the bomb bay. The front bulkhead, visible at the rear of the nose (bombardier's) compartment, was Interior Green, with the soundproofing again in a paler green. If you want to improve this area, cut-out the 'doorway' that is moulded onto the bulkhead, and glue some rolled tissue or similar to one side, to represent the curtain that covered the hatchway. This will give more depth to this area, and emphasise the internal detail. Same with the doors from the cockpit and radio room into the bomb bay; cut them out, and make new ones from plastic sheet or card, posed open.
The 'bare' interiors were introduced on the later production blocks of the 'G', to save production time. Earlier 'G's' had a painted interior, like the 'F' model, and some were painted as far as the radio room, with the fuselage aft of this in bare aluminimum. So, you can vary the interior if you wish, depending on the particular aircraft, which might make it more interesting! The kit represents a late version of one of the earlier production blocks, with parrallel waist-gun positions and standard tail-gun position, so the possibilities are many.

Hello, that´s my attempt from 2005.
But not the best example for you, I´m poor amateur in kit building. Perhabs painted by brush :rolleyes:

Attachments

• kit1.JPG
    kit1.JPG
    47.6 KB · Views: 223
  • kit2.JPG
    kit2.JPG
    40.2 KB · Views: 234
  • kit3.JPG
    kit3.JPG
    27.6 KB · Views: 212
  • kit4.JPG
    kit4.JPG
    25.7 KB · Views: 232
Seesul, Thank you for the link.. that guy is nuts! I also thing your b17 looks quite good for being brushed on a plane this big! Finished this just now, Its the compartment above the underside gun turret, luckily I can pop the bubble off its spinner so when I paint it later the clear plastic wont need to be masked or have a chance of being ruined. Nothing fancy here, I will go heavier on the cockpit and such since that is more readily visible!

Attachments

• PICT0561.JPG
    PICT0561.JPG
    65.9 KB · Views: 216
  • PICT0560.JPG
    PICT0560.JPG
    81.2 KB · Views: 215
  • PICT0559.JPG
    PICT0559.JPG
    74.1 KB · Views: 221
  • PICT0558.JPG
    PICT0558.JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 218
  • PICT0557.JPG
    PICT0557.JPG
    80.3 KB · Views: 219
I have this kit. I plan on building it as part of one of th future group builds. So I will be watching you for hints on how to do it.

Here are two questions for all. Does anyone make any 305th Bomb Group decals for this kit? I would like to open the bomb bay doors. The kit has good bomb bay detail. Is there any after market details for this? I have seen detail sets for every other part of this kit.

Bill G.

I have it too, Bill. Wondering how it'll come out.

Me too also as well. Going to do a bare metal finish. Pray for me.

Its too true my friend! But if you do a start to finish you get to show it to everyone following the build, if not then screw it :D

Looking very good so far mate. The ball turret needs a bit more of the framework painting though - only the front and the small apertures on the sides were perspex, the rest was metal. And yes, the turret, and its whole gimble mounting, can be removed whilst you paint the model.

I'd have to rip the glue job apart then Airframes, I just saw some real pictures and yeah its basically all covered up. The instructions highlighted which parts to paint grey so I followed that.. maybe I should do extensive research for the other turrets and make those perfect and let this be since it is a bottom rider? :D

Cockpit done.. normal painting and did some "tape rips" to the floor for some wear.. :D time to get get some damn lunch, im starving!

Attachments

• PICT0562.JPG
    PICT0562.JPG
    93.8 KB · Views: 220
  • PICT0563.JPG
    PICT0563.JPG
    74.3 KB · Views: 220
  • PICT0564.JPG
    PICT0564.JPG
    75.1 KB · Views: 203
  • PICT0569.JPG
    PICT0569.JPG