1/48 B17G Flying Fortress [Revell]

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Maglar

Tech Sergeant
Jan 29, 2009
Florida
And the Journey begins.. just getting it going with this, will start my work tomorrow. Also heres a link to a restored B17G that gives a tour and a ride around town! Pics / videos for those interested, its quite a machine :D

Google Image Result for http://www.steveo.us/b17ride/b17-2-c.jpg

Attachments

• PICT0533.JPG
    PICT0533.JPG
    87.5 KB · Views: 507
  • PICT0536.JPG
    PICT0536.JPG
    112.5 KB · Views: 502
  • PICT0537.JPG
    PICT0537.JPG
    91.9 KB · Views: 484
  • PICT0538.JPG
    PICT0538.JPG
    96.6 KB · Views: 492
  • PICT0539.JPG
    PICT0539.JPG
    143.8 KB · Views: 497
SPECS:
Scale: 1/48
Pieces: 148
Wingspan: 26"
Length: 19.2"

If thats what you mean by footprint, if not please do tell :D

:shock: This is gonna be a interesting build

Where do ya plan on putting it when done? (me 1/48 B-24J takes up alot of space)

Havent though that out yet lol! It might be a father day gift to my grandfather or I will clear my dresser top.. I have little shelves in my closet that cannot hold these big boys, the single engine 1/48s are fine though

Me too!

I gave him the P38 Lightning, a ship I bought and hand painted, a P40 awhile ago, and a small german figure. He was so excited about the P38 he went to pick it up with his giant hands and crushed the wheel bay door right off :(. No worries though, hes happy lol. This would probably make him faint, he loves the B17 also..

@ Tony: Only ran me $24 US and I just saw some 1:32 Revell Germany for like $30, gotta love the prices!

I dont think so Heinz, it might pop up but looking at the spurs im not seeing it. Probably jam the bombs in the bomb bay!

I have this kit. I plan on building it as part of one of th future group builds. So I will be watching you for hints on how to do it.

Here are two questions for all. Does anyone make any 305th Bomb Group decals for this kit? I would like to open the bomb bay doors. The kit has good bomb bay detail. Is there any after market details for this? I have seen detail sets for every other part of this kit.

Bill G.

This one's on my wishlist too, looking forward to this build! :)

Yes, there's a bomb trolley and bombs,and yes Bill, there are about three sets of PE details for this kit, covering internal and external, I think from 'Flightpath'. I cut the bomb bay doors on mine, and I'm still part way through scratch-building the framework for them - 14 years on!
The PE sets are expensive, so you have to decide if it's worth it, as not that much can be seen of the inside, even if you stagger the waist windows as I did, to model a later version.
With the entrance hatches cut open, a little can be seen in these areas, but the most visible is the bombardier's nose compartment, and a small amount through the radio room upper hatch. The inside of the bomb bay can only be seen via a mirror, or by turning the model upside down!
As Wayne said, take it slow and easy, and it will be a beautiful model - bl**dy big, but beautiful!!

And we're off boys.. Painted the wheel, painted the frames of the ball turret and dry brushed silver over it for that gunmetal look. Just noticed some flash on that 2nd turret so I fixed that. The last pic shows whats going to the airbrush booth for green zinc chromate.. looked ahead in the instructions and thought id gather all the pieces that were within a few steps to save time / paint.. [Used that elmers glue trick for the clear plastic, works weel! Just takes some time to dry before you can let go.]

Attachments

• PICT0555.JPG
    PICT0555.JPG
    58.9 KB · Views: 305
  • PICT0554.JPG
    PICT0554.JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 299
  • PICT0553.JPG
    PICT0553.JPG
    90.8 KB · Views: 307
  • PICT0551.JPG
    PICT0551.JPG