1/48 Bf109G-6 "Yellow 1" Manfred Dieterle

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks all. Unfortunately, some of the decals decided to pee in my cornflakes. Below is the port wing balkenkreuz after the decal solution finished setting. A tear in the decal opened up and became rather ugly.

I was able to fix this by going over the tear with black paint applied with a fine brush and then applying copious amounts of Future to hide the bump of the brushed repair. Once a flat coat is applied, it should look pretty good. I may yet consider masking the black areas off and spraying on a slightly greyer colour to tone down the stark black on the decals.

A hunt for yellow "1's" in my deal stash produced a couple of options but neither represented the correct style of the figure shown in the pictures in that the hook had to be quite pronounced but the decals I had were not quite shaped correctly. I then came across the below yellow "A's" and I saw that these would do with a little careful work.

Using a very sharp scalpel, I carefully cut a figure 1 from the A....

...and I saw that it was good!

A flat coat is next and then it will be on to the fiddley bits. Thanks for watching.

Last edited:
Excellent work. I'm really looking forward to seeing some weathering on that finish. Good choice of subjects.

Electrical tape can work for spinner spirals too, and its advantage is that it's very flexible. Sometimes you can just cut a strip, wind it round the spinner and have at 'er. Its disadvantage is it's gotta be removed ASAFP.

Thanks all. Simon, thanks for the tip on the electrical tape. May try that next time.

Flat coat has been applied and masks removed. Landing gear glued on. You may notice I applied another squiggle on the top of the cowl, this time freehand airbrushed. It's not supported by photos but the gap kinda screamed to be filled and my intuition says that the guys who painted this thing probably would not have left the gap there.

The decal repair turned out really good and I think I'll leave the colour as is since it toned itself down with the flat coat.

Users who are viewing this thread