1/48 Bf109G-6 "Yellow 1" Manfred Dieterle

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Crimea_River

Marshal
Nov 16, 2008
Calgary
As I'm now nearing completion of my FAA Corsair for Pacific Theater GB and because I don't have a candidate available for the Seaplanes build, I thought that I would take this opportunity to finish a build I started a couple of summers ago. The model is the 1/48 Hasegawa Bf 109G-6 "Eyeball" kit and all that I have done so far is to glue the fuselage halves together and stick the radiators into the wings.

14051201.jpg

The model will be supplemented with a resin cockpit set (I don't remember the manufacturer) and my usual scratch built stuff here and there. For a subject, I wanted to push the envelope a bit to challenge my airbrushing skills so I'm choosing the 109G-6 "Yellow 1" of 3/JG300 flown by Manfred Dieterle as it appeared in photos taken at Bonn-Hangelar in March/April 1944 and as depicted by Claes Sundin's profile below.

1-Bf-109G-IJG300-Y1-Manfred-Dieterle-01.jpg

Bf-109G6-3.JG300-(Y1+)-Manfred-Dieterle-Germany-1944-02.jpg

Yellow 1 Dieterle.gif

As you can see, the paint work should be somewhat entertaining. The other interesting thing about this aircraft is that it features a set of Eberspächer acoustic pipes over the forward exhaust stubs. These contraptions created a whistling sound that was used to alert German AA crews of the presence of a friendly aircraft. Good pictures of these things are as rare as hen's teeth (the port one can be seen, just, in the close-up picture above) so if anyone has any decent reference pics or drawings, I'd appreciate seeing them. I'm aware that photo-etched versions are available but they don't look right to me. There should be a ball mounted in an extension of the forward exhaust stub and PE, being flat, sure doesn't do a good job of replicating a ball so I'll be scratch building a set along with the flame damping tubes.

One of our local contests has a special award for night fighters so I'm targeting to have this build finished in time for this in September. I should get at this reasonably soon and hope that I'll be able to get it done between a lot of other stuff going on this summer.

Thanks for your interest guys and, as always, I welcome any and all information to enhance the accuracy of my builds so please don't hesitate to chime in with anything interesting.

Last edited:
Good one Andy, on my to do list too....look forward to seeing all those squiggly lines take shape!

My original thinking was a fine pastel application of the lines and then spray over this freehand following the pattern I mapped out....

A very, very cool choice Andy. I get home tonight and will start pouring through my books; lots of 109s and several night fighters. One of my favorite schemes but very daunting for a brush painter.

Geo

Thanks for the interest everyone.

Wayne, had not thought of that - sounds like a good idea. What do you figure for the wave colour, RLM 74 or 75?

Geo, I'm aware of one more pic of this aircraft, a rather unhelpful, blurry one taken from a distance with vegetation in the foreground. Now if you have something on the pipes, that would be of great interest.

Just found a profile in Mushroom Me109G that calls for RLM75 and white spiral. However, the profile lacks the appropriate number of squiggly lines on the fuselage and the spiral in the photo seems to match the "Yellow 1" so we'll take this with a grain of salt. Still looking for the exhausts.

Geo

Don't know if you've seen this photo though it's not very clear..http://falkeeins.blogspot.ca/2014/04/bf-109-g-6r6-ijg-300-wilde-sau.html

Last edited:
Excellent choice :D was thinking of doing this mount myself, it is a very interesting bird :D but I decided on something else hehehe :)

Can't wait to see this one in action :)

Made a start on the pit. The first picture shows a general coat of RLM66 to all the resin parts and a start on the detail painting of the starboard side wall.

14051701.jpg

Here's the finished starboard side wall. I cut and installed a stretched clear sprue piece in the fuel line and pained the hose. Otherwise, it's all original resin.

14051801.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back