1/48 Bf109G-6 "Yellow 1" Manfred Dieterle

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Cheers guys. After working on a P-40, P-47, and a Corsair, this was a good reminder of how small the 109's cockpit was.. Hope to pose some pics of more cockpit pics later today.

Thanks guys.

As it has been a long time since I started this kit, I recalled today that I swiped the sidewalls and trim wheels from this kit and used them in a different build a while back. That was OK since I'm using the resin sidewalls for this build but the kit trim wheels were supposed to be used with these. A check of the two 109's in my stash did not reveal any extras so I set about making my own from scratch. Here's how:

First, for the raw material, I chose some thin solder wire and a plastic rod of the correct diameter to serve as my jig.

14051901.jpg

Next, I made three tight turns of the solder around the rod...

14051902.jpg

...and cut 2 circles.

14051903.jpg

Next, spokes were made of plastic card. I didn't worry too much about the accuracy of these as they will be mostly hidden.

14051904.jpg

The finished trim wheels glued to the sidewall and installed in th epit:

14051905.jpg

14051906.jpg

14051907.jpg

I'm fairly happy how these turned out so it's onward and upward.

Now, I have a question. Hasegawa provide 2 styles of upper cowl to represent a stamped metal gun trough and an insert type. The pic below shows the two which differ in panel lines.

14051908.jpg

Is there a way to confirm which is the correct one to use for this bird? To my untrained eye, the pics of the open cowl in post 1 don't provide any clues. The profile in Lorant and Goyat's JG 300 Volume shows what seems to be the "insert" type. Unfortunately, no Werkenummer is given in any of the references I have.

Bumping this thread to see if anyone has an answer to my question above:

Hasegawa provide 2 styles of upper cowl to represent a stamped metal gun trough and an insert type. The pic below shows the two which differ in panel lines. Is there a way to confirm which is the correct one to use for this bird? To my untrained eye, the pics of the open cowl in post 1 don't provide any clues.

Any help would be appreciated.

I wish I could help you out with an answer, Andy. My references for 109 are non-existent.

Got your PM Andy and did a bit of studying today...and so Far haven't nailed exactly which one you should use...there are pics in the JG300 book that seem to indicate both were in use during the time period....so it may come down to a coin toss...

Ok, lots to catch up on. The selected upper cowl was glued on and, although the fit was good, I found that it needed 3 passes of putty and surface primer to hide the joint. The first two pics below show the first attempt at smoothing the seams with a primer coat applied and you can still see the seams faintly just under the gun trough insert panel lines.

14052501.jpg

14052502.jpg

These areas were then sanded again, dabbed with a bit of putty, sanded again, brushed with primer, sanded again, then primed after the panel lines were restored. The reason this took several tries was that the depressions were so small that the putty and paint was almost completely sanded off at every turn. Anyway, I think the finish is now good enough, though I can still see faint signs of the seams if I look close. The chosen camo scheme should hide it completely though. Here are two pics of how it turned out.

14052507.jpg

14052508.jpg

Another area that I addressed was the central panel line along the belly and spine. The pic below shows the latter area finished.

14052503.jpg

Hasegawa's sloped bulkhead at the back of the cockpit was devoid of any detail and, after making sure the seam was addressed, I set about adding the hatch that should have been present. Card was used for the door, stretched sprue for the hinge, and masking tape for the hold-down strap.

14052504.jpg

14052505.jpg

The resin instrument panel was not the easiest to finish as the gauges were very deeply indented and had minimal raised detail. After painting in the dials using white over a black background, I filled in the gauges with many drops of Future, after which I discovered that such a method made the white Tamiya paint dissolve a bit, so I lost some detail. However, the panel is very small and the gauges not easily seen so I didn't fret over it. I alos added some scratch built levers to the left and right lower sections of the panel.

14052506.jpg

The oil cooler had the exit louvre opened up a touch and the forward opening got a stretched sprue stiffener.

14052509.jpg

14052510.jpg

As we speak, the cockpit has been inserted through the wing opening and the wings are now glued on and curing. I'll post more pics soon and thanks for looking in.

Thanks guys. The dry fit looked pretty good but it sure took a lot of work to remove the seam - and the starboard side could have used another pass.

Just a few pics below to get us up to date. The first shows the wings going on with my usual attention to making sure the dihedral is correct. The second shows the finished cockpit sill with the painted hatch and strap.

14052601.jpg
14052602.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back