1/48 Bf109G-6 "Yellow 1" Manfred Dieterle

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Where is Matt when you need him :)

the system would not let me do a double post.

Last edited:
George, yes, Gerhard Stamp was a bomber pilot with 2/LG1 before switching to night fighters with JG300. This was pretty typical of that unit as bomber pilots already had bad weather and instrument flying training and experience. He was credited with sinking 35000 tons of merchant shipping as well as the British destroyer HM Defender and had 5 air victories. He also went on the fly the Me262 and survived the war.

The boils glued on and the upper radiator louvres installed. Canopy installed, masked in prep for paint.

14061501.jpg
14061502.jpg

Cheers guys. As it always goes, one of the schemes I really like and that I had considered for this model was Gerhard Stamp's rather unique yellow 17 with the bomber wings crest and ship kills (partial pic below)

View attachment 264860

This scheme is depicted in an EagleCals decal sheet but every time I tried to order one, the shipped decal sheet would have cost more than i paid for the model. Lo and behold, I found the decal sheet at the local model show and picked it up so I'm now faced with a conundrum: stick with yellow 1 or switch to Yellow 17. I guess I'll stick with Dieterle's rig and will just have to get another G-6 (maybe Eduard's????) and do Stamp's too.....

Cheers Glenn. Wayne, gotta get past an F and a K first. So much to do....

I hear ya brother...:D

Oh dear, oh dear, aren't you two a wee pair of crybabies! :lol:

Beautiful work matey!

Thanks everyone.

I had some resin prop blades laying around and decided to use them for this model. I don't remember what happened to the hub so I stole an unused prop from an ICM kit and hacked off the blades, drill holes in the hubs, and installed the resin props using a scale drawing as a template to get it all straight. Sorry for the out of focus pic.

14061601.jpg
14061602.jpg

The next step will be to paint the blades and then install the prop into the spinner. Also done was assembly of the landing gear with solder brake lines and these are ready to paint as well.

14061603.jpg

Thanks Wayne and Terry.

Hit a bit of a downturn on things and will need something good to happen next. First off, the prop and spinner were painted.

14061901.jpg

The black on the spinner was done in preparation for use with a rather dubious looking yellow spiral that was provided with the kit. I had nothing to lose trying it though and, as it turned out, The spiral was too short, ripped on application, and even Solvaset didn't remove the wrinkles. So this is a REJECT and will be redone using a masked spiral that I'll paint myself.

14061902.jpg

Here's the overall model at the moment. For the red band I used Tamiya XF-7 cut with a drop of black to take the "in your face" brightness out of the base red. Again, I feel I might have toned it down a bit too much but I think it will look ok once the RLM76 goes on. The apparent preshading and practice wave pattern was done on a wim as I had some left over grey in the airbrush cup that I decided to splash on as I don't usually preshade. The wave pattern, though only practice, is not acceptable to my eye and I'll need to make some major adjustments to my application style to get a thinner line.

14061903.jpg

Just in case this all goes south, I'm going to wait on the spinner as the success or failure of an acceptable wave pattern will drive a decision as to whether, or not, I'll switch to Stamp's Yellow 17. I plan to give this a serious go on the weekend and hopefully I'll have something good to show for it.

Thanks for your continued interest everyone. Suggestions welcome!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back