1/48 Bf109G-6 "Yellow 1" Manfred Dieterle

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Mixed up a batch of RLM 76 and squirted that on. Also finished off painting the landing gear.

14062201.jpg
14062202.jpg

Andy,

Great work thus far. Really like the scratch building you did on the cockpit. Your subject choice is very interesting too. I never knew some 109's had those warning pipes on the exhausts. Progress looks great. Looking forward to seeing more.

Andy, this is some brilliant work, especially the detail painting in the cockpit. BTW, I think you made the right choice re: upper cowl. This A/C seems to be an early G-6, and my guess would have been to use the inserts too. How do you plan to shoot the wave pattern? Masking or freehand? I'm really looking forward to seeing that.

Cheers Dave, Simon.

The plan at the moment is to freehand the wellen after I lightly trace the pattern with a pencil. If that doesn't work, then it's either scrub the model for an alternate scheme or, more likely, try to mask. There are a number of possibilities with masking:

Use raised tape mask with the waves cut into the mask
Repaint the model in RLM 75, apply Blu-tac "worms" and then shoot RLM 76.
Apply Blu-tac "worms" over the freehand waves to sharpen them up, assuming that my issue will be that they're too fat.

Anyway, we'll see how it goes!

May I suggest another approach? Try powdered pastels and draw the wave pattern with a cut-down brush. I did this on a Galland 109 and liked the results. It's a page from the Bruce Squair finishing approach. My only other attempt at this kind of a paint job was on a desert Bf110, and I failed miserably at it. Hence trying pastels.

I took a dying paint brush, say 0 or 00, and cut it down to short bristles. Then applied the waves the same way one would apply powder streaks, just...well...wavy. Scrape some pastel powder on a business card, load up the brush, and sketch the camo. Multiple passes, I found, were needed to get color density, and in some places tapping the brush rather than flicking it across the model's surface worked better. This only works on a matte surface (powders won't stick to gloss, as you know). I apologize, but I have no pics of the finished model.

I took a dying paint brush, say 0 or 00, and cut it down to short bristles. Then applied the waves the same way one would apply powder streaks, just...well...wavy. Scrape some pastel powder on a business card, load up the brush, and sketch the camo. Multiple passes, I found, were needed to get color density, and in some places tapping the brush rather than flicking it across the model's surface worked better. This only works on a matte surface (powders won't stick to gloss, as you know). I apologize, but I have no pics of the finished model.

That sounds smart Andy ;)

Cheers Wayne. I din't realize that this was what you were talking about. I think I'll need to give this a try but will need to find the right colour pastels.

I'll be away from my build for a while guys as I'll be out of town and Hhpe to resume next week. Thanks for your patience and helpful hints.

Hey, Wayne, sorry to steal your thunder. That'll teach me to read an entire thread.

Another option would be to pencil the pattern, brush paint it with a fine brush and then airbrush over the pattern you just brush-painted. The net effect is a very tight color demarcation line that will look sprayed.

Which is a technique also touched on on page 1 of this thread...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back