1/48 Bristol Beaufighter MkVI - Mediterranean Theatre of Operations

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

tigerdriver

Staff Sergeant
Sep 20, 2010
Norwich UK
www.seloc.org
Username: Tigerdriver
First name: Dave
Category: Beginner
Scale/Kit: 1/48 Tamiya
Extras : None unless i use some PE seatbelts

So of the two beaufighters in my stash I have decided the earlier one will be my entry into this GB. Was going to be done way back when for heavy hitters 2, but life rather got in the way, so I am back if thats ok ?

The Beaufighter is one of my favourite planes. A great example of needs must. Designed in just 8 months the chopped about Beaufort was intended as a stop gap while the RAF waited for the troubled but promising Westland Whirlwind but matured into a very effective night fighter and strike fighter serving with particular distinction for coastal command in an anti shipping role.

I will be doing a craft from 272 Squadron which served in the Med for most of the war, moving from Malta to Italy as the war progressed. Not too sure on the exact example as there seems to be some confusion over the Tamiya provided profile.

It seems the serial no suggested for the V kite depicted in the box art was not allocated to a Beaufighter, and infact looks more like number for a Sunderland ! Also the kit provided RPs and suggests them for this scheme, but records suggest that 272 didnt use RPs till a year or 18 months later when it upgraded to the mk X . The rockets are absent from the box art and the pic of what is probably the same plane I use for my sig. No bombs are provided All very confusing.

At my skill level I will set forth with the kit, settle on the dark earth / mid stone camo and worry about the rockets later. I guess I will be leaving them off

Beaufighter_Mk_VI_Tamiya_61053_48th.jpg

This evening I am mostly just washing the sprue parts and getting my paint colours etc sorted

I treated myself to a new neo by iawata airbrush in an attempt to kick start my modelling again so I will be colouring in a couple of plastic tubs to see how that handles before I jump in too deep. Its a nice thing that seems way better built than the ebay special which I was using and wasn't much more cash to be honest

Beaufighter_272Sqdn_Malta_wartimecolour_IWM_2.jpg

I am still pretty sure that the exhaust collector should be a sort of heat dazed steel not the rather bizarre copper that tamiya has always suggested

At the beginning the steel looks like being overheated. But , because of moisture, I mean rain, etc... the exhaust manifolds should get the rusty colour. For instance the PZL P-7s and 11s had them painted black. After some time the exhaust manifolds looked like being coloured with dark brown paint. So you may be right methinks.

So I have started on the interior . Bit of interior green action and starting on the office etc. I think it will be a struggle to see a thing once its closed up but its all good practice at my level.

20141126_191909_resized.jpg

I did paint the heater pipes light grey as they may stick out in the gloom lol

Attachments

• 20141126_192337_resized.jpg
    20141126_192337_resized.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 201
Last edited:
Nice start John and a good kit as far as build fit goes. I used this kit for my Aussie Beau in GB 18 and had to buy in the rockets, the undercart was good for detail as well.

Thanks Bob ;)

I am liking the way the test fits are going, certainly more intuitive than the eduard dora that nearly finished me off !!

I have a Eduard 110 in the stash, might just sell that lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back