1/48 Bristol Beaufighter Mk VI - Mediterranean Theater of Operations (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

i use vallejo acrylics with just a brush, they go on very well, though the usual, yellow, red, white and silver need an undercoat !

i noticed that different shades of undercoat change the silver finish quite a lot.

Last edited:
Hey, rochie, Andy,
Thank you both so much for the help and guidance. These are the kind of things I need to learn about with moving to acrylics. Great information. I have a largish bottle of Vallejo primer and that will be used on the entire exterior. So far, I am doing the interior. The little bit of hand brushing I have done so far is with Vallejo Model Color, not the Model Air. That seems to brush on nicely, but it does dry out faster than the enamels. The model airs do spray nicely. I have not done as much large area spraying yet, so I am not sure I have run into the drying out issue yet.
Andy, any ideas on the extender? I have poked around a couple of online shops with no luck when looking for Vallejo specific compounds. Are these extenders more "general purpose" (i.e. what works for MM Acrylic would work for Vallejo)?

Last edited:
Here's the stuff I use Dale but, again, it really depends on the acrylic paint manufacturer that you use. I have heard good things about the Vallejo paints but have never used them. I found it necessary to use this stuff on my PollyScale paints which have a notoriety for being difficult to spray. I don't even think they make them any more.

Badger Model Flex 16 600 Extender 1 OZ Acrylic Paint Bottle | eBay

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Good info on acrylics! I use primarily Tamiya acrylics and have run into what Andy describes as poor brush properties. I have never used Vallejo paints but from my lure painting experience, I know that the stuff used to delay drying/curing times is sometimes called "retarder".

Hey, rochie, Andy,
Thank you both so much for the help and guidance. These are the kind of things I need to learn about with moving to acrylics. Great information. I have a largish bottle of Vallejo primer and that will be used on the entire exterior. So far, I am doing the interior. The little bit of hand brushing I have done so far is with Vallejo Model Color, not the Model Air. That seems to brush on nicely, but it does dry out faster than the enamels. The model airs do spray nicely. I have not done as much large area spraying yet, so I am not sure I have run into the drying out issue yet.
Andy, any ideas on the extender? I have poked around a couple of online shops with no luck when looking for Vallejo specific compounds. Are these extenders more "general purpose" (i.e. what works for MM Acrylic would work for Vallejo)?

sorry i forgot to specify that i brush paint with model colour and dilute as needed with tap water.
some of the range dont seem as thick as others so i just make up the ratio's of paint and water as i go along and sometimes dont thin at all !

i am pretty sure vallejo do their own extender as well !

yup here we go.

http://cdn.acrylicosvallejo.com/96921f6a542f9c4908aacc121b259cc0/Carta_ModelColor_rev01.pdf

right at the bottom !

and see also here.

Auxiliary products

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back