1/48 Bristol Beaufighter MkVI - Mediterranean Theatre of Operations

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I've used the Vallejo Model Colour RLM76, supplied by Karl, and it sprayed beautifully when thinned around 50/50 with water. Also, by using the Model Colour, rather than Model Air, you're getting 50% more paint for the same price !

I am using a mixture of both. To be honest I am finding tha even the model air needs maybe a 10% splash of thinner to spray nice but once they are set they do seem to work well. The model colour sure makes more sense as you say but the air is reassuring as it nearly works from the tin. As i get used to the air brush more I am sure I will experiment

Let us know if you need replacement decals before paying for any replacements. Should be lots of pares about.

I've never used Vallejo paints but some of their pre-mixed colours I've seen on this forum did not look right to me. But that's just my opinion.

Thanks I will see if Tamiya are gonna be nice

Colour wise I fear you may be right about the middle stone though since this came up i have been goggling and i fear that whilst mine does look green ( especially in the pics) there is a fair old range of colours visible all preporting to be the sandy part of the scheme.

All a learning curve, as I had a solid match for the paint from my coversion table thingie it didnt really occur to me to research the colour further

My references say the Mid Stone colour was FS 30266. Its equivalent can be Humbrol 93/94/225, Gunze H71, Xtracolor X9, Lifecolor UA097, RAL 1024, Italeri 4304, ModelMaster 2052 (ANA 615),

FS30266.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you Wurger .... I am only looking on my cheapo screen at work but it doesnt look quite so far out now, theres a definite hint of green in that swatch

Sadly Tamiya UK say the kit is "out of warranty" as I dont have proof of purchase within the last 12 months and wont replace any decals . Bit annoyed really they basically accused me of using knock off ones then trying to get some from them.

Not sure about the green tone there. It looks brown-yellow greyish on my screen.

Here is a Martin Baltimore model painted with ModelMaster set for the RAF desert camo... source: Modelarstwo z pasj? ? Zobacz w?tek - VIN-ORT/ Martin Baltimore FROG/Novo 1/72

baltimore_inwork_4.jpg

baltimore_inwork_7.jpg

A Spitfire coloured with Gunze Mr. Color set , the Mid Stone - C21 paint ... source: Modelarstwo z pasj? ? Zobacz w?tek - Spitfire IXc ZX-1 (Bilek/Italeri 1/72)

IMG_2175.jpg

IMG_2339.jpg

A Spitfire painted with Vallejo 70824 (128 ) (German Camouflage Orange Ochre) as the Mid Stone... source: Modelarstwo z pasj? ? Zobacz w?tek - Artur vel "Arcturus" - Lotnictwo 1:48

Spitfire ZX_6_a.jpg

Spitfire ZX_6_b.jpg

And I think that the last colour , I mean the Vallejo 70824, is a good equivalent for the Mid Stone paint.

Last edited:
I think I must be going mad ….

I was reading an old thread in the paint questions sub forum and found this ..

For the desert camo scheme of RAF planes in the North Africa were used paints :

1. Dark Earth - FS30118 - Humbrol 29,142, Tamiya XF52,Valejjo Air 029
2. Mid Stone - FS30266 - Humbrol 84, Tamiya XF60, Valejjo Air 031
3. Azure Blue - FS35231 - Humbrol mixture of 89+157, ratio 2:1, Tamiya X14+X18 , Valejjo Air 008

Which is indeed what i was using :( I guess the colour changed with batches ….

20150108_185635_resized.jpg

well heres my first ever go at mixing a colour too, just an experiment on one wing tip for now

looks less bad i think

i did, though that doesn't mean I can do it again lol

Now not sure whether to try and fill in the lighter colour or mask up the whole upper half and start over . I think the latter . Poor plane will have more weight in paint than plastic soon lol

Yep looking quite good methinks. Here is quite well-known shot of the Spitfire Mk.IX of the PFT in the N.Africa. Believing it has been taken as a colour image the Mid Stone should look like the one in the shot.

Spit ZX_1 PFT.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back