1/48 Bristol Beaufighter Mk VI - Mediterranean Theater of Operations

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

dneid

Staff Sergeant
Oct 31, 2012
Austin, TX
Username: dneid
First name: Dale
Category: Intermediate
Scale: 1/48
Manufacturer: Tamiya

Extras: Aries Cockpit and Wheel Wells. I may use aftermarket decals. I am not sure on that yet. Picture includes them as well as the kit decals pulled from the box.

NewBuildPic.JPG

Hey, guys, I am trying to get my Eduard Spit finished 1st. I hope to have that wrapped over the weekend or early the following week.

Ok, now that the Spit is done, back to the Beaufighter. I resprayed the interior green as the Vallejo was just too bright green. I grabbed a bottle of Testor's MM acrylic British Interior Green and put that down last night. Things look much better now and far less psychotic. I will take the weekend to pick out all the interior detain in the Aries resin kit (of which there is quite a bit). I should learn more about acrylic paint properties with all the hand/dry brushing over the weekend. Pictures to come after I make a bit of a dent in the painting.

Dale, looking forward to the pics. If you're not used to acrylics, a couple of things to keep in mind. First, they dry very quickly. First, they all dry very quickly and, depending on the manufacturer, can clog up your airbrush fairly quickly. For long airbrushing jobs, you may want to mix in a few drops of acrylic "extender" which delays the dry time a bit. Second, acrylics tend not to do well when applied with a paint brush. Again, this depends on the manufacturer as some do reasonably well and others poorly (Tamiya being one). I limit brush painting to small areas. Third, acrylics are the least clingy to plastic surfaces with lacquers and enamels being much better. I have found that my Pollyscale acrylics need a primer applied first, otherwise there is a strong likelihood of adhesion failure, especially when masking. Tamiyas, on the other hand, can go straight onto the plastic with minimal issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back