<-- **** DONE: 1/48 Do 335 - Twin Engined Aircraft of WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks guys. Just over half of a tire balancing lead Terry which I think was 40gms total. Glued on the upper cowl panel, more mudding ahead.

001.JPG

Hobbygram...Monocraft? To be fair though, the molds are from the 70s and the panels were meant to be posed open or closed, something other manufacturers struggle with as well. The grinding down of the insert was more my problem than the kit. Anyhoo....I've started mudding the front panels. The real fit issue I was warned about in another build was that of the windscreen and a test fit shows this to be true, not a lot but it's there. Something I'm going to try for the first time is to replace the raised panel lines that were lost. There's not a lot, maybe 1cm or so. I've managed to stretch some sprue to an acceptable thickness.....suggestions? Film at 11

The fit of the windscreen. It's not as bad as the photo shows....

003.JPG

...the piece has since had a bath in Future and is resting comfortably for the night. The gap in the cowling has been dealt with. I found a tube of Testors putty that I bought years ago and wasn't happy with it, sand paper just seemed to either remove it or it never sanded smooth. This time around, I flooded the gap and then used a wet finger to remove the excess and smooth it out. My future raised panel lines...

004.JPG

Major mudding is done. I'll run a coat of silver around and check for missed spots tomorrow. The stretched sprue raised panel lines were successful though not without a struggle. I know liquid cement will melt fine sprue and it did, severing the sprue from its attachment point. I found if I laid it flush to the fuselage and the ends overlapping the join points. I could run a thin bead down the sprue, wait a bit, and the cut the ends flush with the join points. A test fit of the lower wings shows a great fit.

007.JPG
008.JPG

I think Geo is just going to keep the panel line type for all the model. Otherwise , he would have to "excavate" the entire model in order to get the engraved panel lines .

Last edited:
I think Geo is just going to keep the panel line type for all the model. Otherwise , he would have to "excavate" the entire model in order to get the engraved panel lines .

Zactly. The smart man would have engraved panel lines before putting the parts together, using the raised panel lines as a guide. The lazy man would quote Wojtek. Plus, this was an exercise in stretching sprue to the finest I could. Anyhoo...moving on to the flaps. A couple of odd things here; they are the only parts without positioning holes and pegs and they are positional. However....every photo I've seen has the flaps raised except for one and that was to show how far the flaps lowered. Once these get set up I can attach the tops of the wings

001.JPG
002.JPG

Last edited:
Yessir, Bondo©. Had this tube for many years. I believe I used the majority of this tube on 2 Hobbycraft kits

009.JPG

I've just started using superglue and accelerator for small seams and I'm still trying to figure out Milliput©, trying to get it into small snakes and not sticking to everything as I do it. When I can get it to work, it's great

Some excellent progress there Geo and nice bodywork. I wish I had pics of my early builds as I recall doing this one in the 70s. I don't remember those fit issues but I probably didn't care as much back then.

Thanks Andy. As mentioned earlier, it's probably an age thing now. I've seen younger kits with way more flash and parts not quite molded properly (Weird, could have swore I hit post hours ago) Slow progress, wings are both on and after the left side sets up I'll add the Milliput. Had fun putting in the radiator insert. It's a plug in with no locating tabs, plus it's very tight. Guess how many times it fell into the fuselage

006.JPG
002.JPG

Where this kit starts to show its age are the small parts, seams abound.

001.JPG

The instructions have an arrow pointing which direction the mud guard goes. It wasn't until I turned the part over and noticed the arrow was also on the part. The instructions are vague on how this part is mounted so it's off to the references....................

Users who are viewing this thread

Back