1/48 Dora Wings Messerschmitt Bf-109B

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

B bdefen For those of me who are less talented, several versions...UMM-USA
Thanks. Added the site to my Model Building Favorites. I'll inspect my "parts" inventory to see what materials I have. If I don't think I can build one for reasonably less than the price of the UMM products you've led me to, I may just have to give in to "Covid Modeling Purchase Addiction" and order one.
I appreciate it.

I like the design. Looks like the three supports are adjustable for fuselage length, wingspan, and height..right?
Yes - adjustable on all three axis'. I wanted to make sure that on the rare occasion I do something in either 1/32 or 1/72 the stand will still be useful. I am also finding that it can be handy to adjust the height for one end of the aircraft to aid visibility when working on fiddly bits that need 3 or 4 hands... :oops:

I also bought a lot of lead wire there for various reasons...UMM-USA Back to you Grant
Thanks Geo. They are very similar to the ones I saw except I think they may have been made from clear acrylic. The concept wasn't too hard to replicate and it gave me a use for some crappy old bits of MDF that I was holding on to (why I do this is best left to the shrinks!! My wife has many theories...).

Underside repainted - hoping that the pre-shading is a bit more visible this time around. Looks better IRL than this photo I think.
Bf-109B Underside Painted 2.JPG

I think some of it is still apparent... :scratch:

Yes - adjustable on all three axis'. I wanted to make sure that on the rare occasion I do something in either 1/32 or 1/72 the stand will still be useful. I am also finding that it can be handy to adjust the height for one end of the aircraft to aid visibility when working on fiddly bits that need 3 or 4 hands... :oops:
Found all I need in my important parts (leftover junk) inventory. Plywood - thicker for the base, thinner for the uprights. Angled metal deck brackets - for attaching the uprights. Wingnuts, bolts - for assembly and adjustment. Felt - to pad the uprights (from wife's sewing stash - didn't steal it, she gladly gave it to me). Even found some rubber feet. Won't need to paint it, the model airbrushing process will take care of that, so it won't have that nice piano finish yours has. I'll size it to sit on my painting turntable. Total cost outlay so far - $Free-fifty.
Thanks for the inspiration and information.

Found all I need in my important parts (leftover junk) inventory. Plywood - thicker for the base, thinner for the uprights. Angled metal deck brackets - for attaching the uprights. Wingnuts, bolts - for assembly and adjustment. Felt - to pad the uprights (from wife's sewing stash - didn't steal it, she gladly gave it to me). Even found some rubber feet. Won't need to paint it, the model airbrushing process will take care of that, so it won't have that nice piano finish yours has. I'll size it to sit on my painting turntable. Total cost outlay so far - $Free-fifty.
Thanks for the inspiration and information.
Got the parts cut yesterday afternoon. Ready to assemble and try out.
Painting stand parts.jpg

Progress has been made. Thanks to Geo's suggestion for clear gloss varnish I managed to apply a semi-decent coat to the bird as below. While on the job I decided to mask and paint the wing insignia just for kicks and to see if I could actually do it. The result is OK. A bit of the white base coat is visible around the edge but I know how I can fix this next time. I added the decals to the pic to show that I got the scale of the crosses "almost right"!

Bf-109B Topside Painted 3.JPG

Similar outcome for the underside, although this has not been gloss coated - that is the next job for today.
Bf-109B Underside Painted 3.JPG

Finally, a shot of the rudder. The only real issue I have with this is that the width of the black bands is a bit too narrow on one of them. At this point I am just going to have to live with it. I really want to get at least this one aircraft finished. I've only been working on it for 2 years!!!! #-o
Bf-109B Vertical Stab Painted 1.JPG

As I said, clear coat and then some decals. Nearly there!!!

Thanks for looking in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back