1/48 Dragon Ju 88R-2

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hello,
After some hours to searched the type of camo scheme of my Ju 88R-2, I finally found what I looked for in: "Flugzeug: Die erste authentische Typen-Dokumentation. Junkers Ju88C und R". It appears that Ju88R-2 was the last of the series to be painted in RLM70/RLM71/RLM65 (or 76) at the factory. this camo was often (if not always) repainted over with RLM76 in form of meanders or clouds. The first Ju88 to be painted in RLM76 with RLM75 blotches at the factory was Ju88G-1.
So, here is the start of painting:

DSCN3429.JPG

DSCN3430.JPG

I wonder how to succeed in making beautiful clouds or meanders with airbrush... I'm afraid with this work of painting :(
I thought to paint RLM76 first and to mask in form of meanders or clouds before to apply RLM70/71 but too much work in this case... First, I'm going to paint the RLM70/71 camo and try to find the correct setting with airbrush if I decide for meanders (not decided yet: clouds ? Meanders ?) ...:scratch:

What good photos Steph, and I think like Terry, that the best choice will be freehand, even though the waves or the meanders will be closer to each other, as your model indicates.

I'm sure you'll have it resolved to your liking.

Salutations à la belle France :thumbup:
Luis Carlos

My test dummy is an unfinished 1:48 Scale B-17G. I use it to test my painting abilities. Currently the port wing is in German Splinter camo, the starboard wing is a test of gloss black. The port fuselage is two tone blue and white like the US Navy colors and the starboard fuselage is mostly a test of different primers and pressures. About to coat the whole thing in a single primer color and start over!

But I find having a test dummy is a great way to experiment on an actual model without risking botching my actual work in progress. I don't tend to cry as much if I fudge it up.

Great work on the Ju88, Steph! The BMW engines look great! Will this be a mottled scheme or one of those crazy "scribbled lines" patterns?

It will take a lot of practice to achieve that pattern. I don't think that there is such a thing as a mask set for that. I practice trying on my "paint mule" with left over paint from my airbrush after painting on a model before cleaning the airbrush. Sometimes I get it fairly close to what I'm hoping to do one day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back