1/48 Eduard, Bf 109G-5, unusual camouflage

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks for the clarification of the fuel tank and your comments my friends.
You´re right Terry, the reason for the missing belt is that I intend to put it so that the end of it comes out of the cabin (as if pretending that the pilot had been in a hurry to leave).
I have seen that detail in some dioramas, and could give a touch of originality (only my model, and it would be worth trying)

I appreciate all your comments and observations. :thumbup:

Interesting subject Luis and sorry for chiming in so late. I was out on Vancouver Island kayaking and could not access the net.

I indeed modelled Yellow 1 in the wavy scheme that caught your eye. The thread is here: 1/48 Bf109G-6 "Yellow 1" Manfred Dieterle

According to my sources, this aircraft was a G-6 and was flown by Hans Dieterle. A little more investigation on your part could reveal that your aircraft MIGHT have been fitted with the Eberspächer exhaust pipes that were designed to make a distinctive whistling sound to identify friendly aircraft to flak crews at night. See my thread for discussion. Note that the pic of White 1 posted by Wojtek suggests the presence of the modification as the rear exhaust stubs are faired over.

Last edited:
My dear colleague and Canadian friend, it is never too late to receive you on board. I am on page 5 of your thread (sure will be very helpful), I'll read it calmly.
Very interesting about the Eberspächer acoustic pipes over the forward exhaust stubs. Mine will be with the "white 1" and the Eduard kit comes very well detailed and enough pieces for other versions that I will not use (for now).
I do not think that includes that modification to the forward exhaust stubs ... it seems simple to make them for another nocturnal version of a G-6. I will be commenting and / or asking about your thread (and the contributions of the group) ...
Thank you very much for sharing it Andy, it will be very enriching.

Pronto más fotos del avance...
Saludos :thumbup:

You're welcome my friend. Good pictures of the Eberspächer installation are hard to find. This one shows the whistle mechanism at the front end.

G6JG300unknownFB with Eberspacher Pipe.jpg

... the union of the external pieces began!

32.jpg
33.jpg
34.jpg

Let the photos tell you about the initial process of improving the landing gear legs ...

35.jpg
36.jpg
37.jpg

RLM 02, applied to the parts involved ...

38.jpg

With white oil paint and a brush, I blew some details to give a little light ...

39.jpg

I'll wait until I have to apply gloss varnish to other pieces, then give them the corresponding washings.

My experience with the PE pieces, is still in process, so I still struggled a bit to correctly apply the pieces in the pieces to be joined, in time and form with the cyanoacrylate

40.jpg
41.jpg

I'm almost a month away from being the next National of Static Modeling, I hope (and I think so), be on time to also include this bird.

Good week for everyone and see you soon. :thumbup:

Good use of Acupuncture needles
Hi herman 1rg, are many applications and utilities that I have achieved with acupuncture needles, ... practically in all my models I have used them for different things, ... they lend a lot for their resistance and thinness in repairs and details.

... preparing the position lights, for their future improvement.

42.jpg

(I hope this pitot stays "alive" until the end !! :crazyeyes:)

43.jpg

The assembly of the different stabilizers, was entertaining and meticulous to try to give the correct and similar distances for both wings, ... a new test for me in the application of glue, without exceeding and damaging the appearance.

44.jpg
45.jpg
46.jpg
47.jpg

Finally the transparent pieces were sanded carefully (thus I have damaged and had to work double in other cases ... !!), ... and submerged them in Future, ... they are ready to apply the masks included in the kit.

48.jpg

I'm close to starting the process of exterior painting and I have been very helpful the thread that kindly shared Andy, he did the "1 yellow", but the scheme is very similar to my "1 white". The technique used with powdered pastels, seems very interesting, although a bit slow and seems to have struggled a bit with the application evenly, ... I liked the final result. ...... and ended up being a champion at the Alberta Military Model Show 2014 !! :pilotsalute:

I have in mind an occurrence to use for the first time a technique "with toothpaste", for which I´ll use for the first time accessories that recently came to me by mail.

49.jpg

I'm going to find out how it turns out first on a flat plastic surface, to do the test of how I have planned it. Then I will see if it is applicable to our bird "1 white" 8-[
There will always be a way to correct the course of being necessary ...:cool:

Thanks for looking in everyone.
Nos vemos por aquí pronto :thumbup:

Hello everyone and thanks for your comments and interest. :grouphuuug:

The masking with toothpaste, I've seen in some works in a forum in the country. And it looks very practical for certain types of camouflage, or to cover certain areas when using the airbrush.
As the waves in our 1 White are relatively thin, the truth is that the quality of my airbrushes does not give me the confidence to do so many strokes relatively thin and close to each other, and although working by freehand I'm still perfecting my technique, ... I'm not to take that risk. [-X

With the correct mouthpiece, I have this idea to try this technique.
The first was to simulate the lines of panels and rivets in a flat piece of plastic ...

50.jpg

Prepare half of that piece to apply the first color. As the waves are in RLM74, that will be the base layer ...

51.jpg
52.jpg

With a pencil I traced some of the types of waves that the 109 will carry. I took the toothpaste in the plastic bottle and with the selected mouthpiece I began to follow the lines ...

53.jpg

Let me tell you that it is very important to try to maintain the same pressure in the bottle so that the thickness of the desired line does not vary ... as you can see, I had my variations! 8-[
I'm going to let the toothpaste dry and tomorrow I'll see how it behaved, in order to apply the 2nd color (RLM76) ... [-( ... I'm beginning to have some doubts ...:-k

Meanwhile, I finished detailing the legs of the landing gear, I can only wait to apply varnish gloss for the washes.

54.jpg

To use the kit mask sheet on the transparent parts, it took me several hours in the morning! :coffee:

The internal masks on the back of the canopy do not give the correct position together, to demarcate the interior frames. I chose to remove them and taking advantage of the exteriors being fine, I will paint outside, first the RLM66 of the cockpit and then the exterior color RLM76. For the windshield I will do the same because it does not include masks for the interior.
In the photo you can see the internal disaster of the piece on the right ...

55.jpg

For the central part of the canopy, there was no problem; but since there are only 6 pieces for the 6 windows, it would be necessary to use them 2 times to paint both sides, ... so I used my usual technique to mask the exterior of the windows with Tamiya tape and a bit of liquid mask ...

56.jpg
57.jpg

... and I applied the RLM66 ...

58.jpg

... I'm going to let them sleep and tomorrow we continue ...

Your feedback is welcome. :study:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back