1/48 Eduard, Bf 109G-5, unusual camouflage

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

An inexpensive and practical option of the toothpaste that I will later comment more in detail regarding what it refers to in what I intend with this "1 white" (1W).
Thanks Andy, George, Wojtek and sgeorges4.

That's going to be a great one!
BTW welcome to forum sgeorges4, I hope you like the thread and I am sure you will enjoy much of the content of this formidable forum and the people that make it up.

Saludos y excelente día para todos :thumbup:
Luis Carlos

I'm going to share with you the tiny process of the gun sight.

These were the main images on which I relied.

1.jpg

2.jpg
3.jpg

(images obtained from the internet)

This is the original piece of the kit ...

59.jpg

First, cut two pieces of acetate to make, not one, but the two pieces of glass that the gun sight carries.

60.jpg
61.jpg

:idea:A tip: Wanting to hold small pieces with jeweler's tweezers, I had to lose in limbo several tiny pieces and sometimes spend hours on four legs looking unsuccessfully. Put two small pieces of rubber hose on the tips of the tweezer or at least one of them (as in this two last picture appear the two cases) The hoses are those used for medical devices in respiratory treatments.:idea: I hope it will be you useful. ;)

After some juggling with a 000 brush, I gave color to the new piece.

62.jpg
63.jpg

... really small ... !!

64.jpg

I come back with some more photos and how it was mounted in front of the cockpit in the IP ...

Saludos :thumbup:

...I'm back

In this position I had to put the 109, to ensure the correct placement of the gun sight.

65.jpg

... some images before placing the windshield and closing the cockpit for the painting process ...

66.jpg
67.jpg
68.jpg
69.jpg
70.jpg

With this image I say goodbye and see you back soon. ... (let's see what happened with the mentioned technique of toothpaste ...)

4.jpg

By the way, the way in which the shoulder strap for the seat harness comes out, is something similar to what I plan to do. :smuggrin:

Hasta la próxima y saludos :thumbup:

Great looking sight Luis-Carlos. Note that the tinted visor at the front would be flipped up in bright conditions and that it was retractable so not always present in the extended position. I've always thought these to be tinted green and not the orange/brown as you have made it..

Tienes razón Andy, it is a little more orange than expected; I've also seen some in bluish green. And the retractable mechanism is very interesting according to the condition of the sun.
Except for your best opinion, I consider that German military aviation has many of the first contributions in design, innovation and development in aviation technology.
:thumbup:

Last edited:
Regarding toothpaste and its possible application to my masking needs, I let those waves cure for a couple of days, before applying the second color (RLM 76)

My first impression is that the waves widened a bit and are very sensitive to any light touch ...

71.jpg

I definitely should have used a mouthpiece about half the size I used.
In the photo number 8 in the # 33 post, you can see that I used the dark green mouthpiece that is lying down, the one I had to use is any of the two green colors on the left of the photo. :dontknow:
I could not waste time to see the results, after applying the gray green, although it is definitely not what I expected.

72.jpg
73.jpg

My conclusions are:
1) It can work without any problem when you use enamel paints. To remove the toothpaste you can use a wet cloth or napkin or under a water stream it will be simple.
2) To mask by making thin lines, they should be isolated lines and of a design not very curved.
3) It is very easy to touch by carelessness, so you have to take care of what is going ahead.
4) I have seen that they apply it with syringes with or without a needle (depending on what is required)
5) ideal to cover medium areas.
6) It is not what I need for this detailed scheme design in our 109.

Well, I had to try ... I already have another option (which Andy also considered in his "yellow 1"), apply Blu-tac "worms". So I'm going to prepare the other half of the plastic piece, to do the test.

Meanwhile I worked with the PE pieces that go over the exhaust pipes.
The starboard, which is longer and curved than the larboard ...

74.jpg
75.jpg
76.jpg
77.jpg

The masking of the exhaust pipes ...

78.jpg
79.jpg

... and the internal parts of the wing stabilizers.
The upper part of the 109 is ready for the first layer of RLM 74 Gray Green ...

80.jpg

I will come back later. :thumbup:

In what I decide how will be the way to make those waves, what is a fact is the basis for the color of these.

81.jpg
82.jpg
83.jpg

After the paint was well cured, I traced the waves with pencil ...

84.jpg

To make the worms, the thinnest and uniform, with two pieces of glass I was making the worms until I found the right thickness.

85.jpg

It was then that I started to place the tak worms on the plastic surface, when it occurred to me to try with welding wire ... Making the path was not so difficult, but a little laborious and to stick it I used tiny pieces of tak

86.jpg
88.jpg

...when I put them on the plane to do the test, I think it will be a bit complicated, but I will have to evaluate the alternatives ...

87.jpg

What do you think of the test results?

89.jpg
90.jpg

I'm thinking about making the tak worms in once, and leaving them for a couple of days so that they are not so "soft and sticky" and ... this is where I kindly request your valuable opinions and recommendations ...

Let's see what happens tomorrow. :thumbup:

I think your blu-tak worms are the way to go based on your experiment results. I have found the method to be effective for soft edged camouflage patterns but have found that the stuff often doesn't stick well unless you press down hard. But that squashes the worm and defeats the purpose. You might find it easier to do one surface at a time rather than the whole aircraft at once.

I think your blu-tak worms are the way to go based on your experiment results. I have found the method to be effective for soft edged camouflage patterns but have found that the stuff often doesn't stick well unless you press down hard. But that squashes the worm and defeats the purpose. You might find it easier to do one surface at a time rather than the whole aircraft at once.
Thanks Andy for commenting, ... in the approach of the camera it is acceptable that light blur that makes the airbrush on worms.
I have come to consider the proposal of Slam in your thread, to use powdered pastels to support where the worms have not left the desired effect.
What you say about going through parts of the plane is also logical. I'll see how that work is carried out, ... as I've learned, I'll have to do it calmly, focused and well to ensure that only once is the attempt.

Gracias compadre :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back