1/48 Eduard, Bf 109G-5, unusual camouflage

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Gracias amigo polaco :occasion5:

To try for the first time this way to use the powdered pastels, I followed the advice of trimming the bristles of two brushes (00, 000)
Originally I thought to use the colors dark green and dark gray, ... and if necessary a little black ...

121.jpg

Doing some small tests in places of poor visibility, I could see that using only dark gray powder, it would be enough. Here the difference of the application in the left aileron, with respect to the right.

122.jpg

... port side:

123.jpg

In this photo you can better see the appearance of the four waves on the right, compared to 4 on the left (after and before using the aforementioned technique) And in a wider shot, the difference between the left wing and the difference with the right.

124.jpg
125.jpg

I leave these last two photos, after applying a post-shade

126.jpg
127.jpg

Thanks for your visits and comments.
Let everyone finish a pleasant Sunday!

Gracias y saludos :thumbup:

Thank you, Andy. Really, the opportunity to review what worked for you in the thread of your "yellow 1" has been a good contribution to work after the blu-tak worms in mine!
Greetings to Canada :thumbleft:

Dzięki W., mój kompetentny ekspert !! :thumbright:

:thumbup::thumbup:

Last edited:
They are flattering comments, George, Terry and JonOlsen. ;)

In a moment I take advantage and I pass the pictures of the advanced thing the night of yesterday ...

To mask the bottom of the 109, I preferred to exaggerate a bit with tapes, post-it, liquid mask and for the first time I'm going to try to fill the wheel walls with blu-tak. o_O
Because it is the black color that will be used, I would not want to see it sprinkled in any part of what was painted with light gray.

128.jpg
129.jpg
130.jpg

131.jpg

I made a mixture of black with red brown, diluted 40% with isopropyl alcohol and gave it light layers until I achieved a uniform surface. Then with 50% black with I.A., I made a post-shading in all the panels.

132.jpg

I forgot to add this PE cover, when doing it with cyanoacrylate, in a first attempt, it was slightly crooked, so I had to detach it and repeat the operation. :rolleyes:

133.jpg

With Dark Gray, I made light tones in the center of the panels, to avoid the monochrome of the black surface.

134.jpg

And finally, to homogenize a little the entire surface, I gave it light layers of 10% black and 90% I.A. approximately.

135.jpg
136.jpg

And so the night passed. :sleeping2:

I´ll remove all the masking and at night I will give her a Future bath, to move to the placement of the decals.

Sus comentarios son bienvenidos. Saludos :thumbup:
:grouphuuug:

Good afternoon friends and colleagues of modeling.

I have some doubts and I hope someone can clarify them. :scratch:

In the tail of our109 she wears a Nazi swastika and I have two options:

137.jpg

A) Put the complete swastika. (decal # 30)
B) Put it partially. (decal # 4 + 4)

138.jpg

The funny thing is that in all the scheme versions that the Eduard kit offers, they have the same option:

139.jpg
140.jpg
141.jpg
142.jpg

My questions to the experts and / or connoisseurs of this detail are: :study:

1) Why should everyone have the option of the "blurred or semi-erased" swastika? What means?
2) They seem to be "painted" on a square in a gray color, and with that same color is partially "erased" ... It is a gray tone, apparently the same in all cases, and not necessarily with some gray of that scheme.
3) Is it some color in particular?
4) Why does option 4 + 4 have two halves for the same swastika?
5) What would be the correct way to apply those 2 decals on each side?

Thank you in advance for your answers, I will be aware. :thumbup:

The kit decals are produced in two variants, as the swastika is an illegal symbol in some countries - the portion of the sheet showing the full swastika is designed to be removed before export to those countries. The 'half' swastika decals are supposed to be used to make a full swastika.
Although it's possible that the swastika on the fin was partially over-sprayed, I think it is more likely that this is again a way of displaying the location, on the instruction sheet profile, without infringing any laws in the various countries concerned.
My feelings are that, on the real aircraft, the swastika was masked when the camouflage lines were sprayed, and then the masks removed to reveal the full swastika, on a square background of the original base colour (RLM 76 ?), and therefore a full swastika should be applied to the model.

I agree with Terry. That's the reason generally. But also the dividing the swastika into two pieces is because it seems there could have been planes with the marking applied at the panel lines depending on the tail type . So the firm made it easier to apply and cut it for that reason instead of a modeller.. But you don't need to use all of them. It is enough to use the whole ones.

Thanks friends for the clarification, then it has nothing to do with the real planes that were active.
These always carried the complete swastika.
I think it's probably I´ll trying to make that square in RLM 66 (black gray) and put the complete swastika on.

Interesting clarification and again thanks for your support. :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back