1/48 Eduard, Bf 109G-5, unusual camouflage

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Good start of the week for everybody. :wav:

I will share (for those who do not yet know, or it can be useful as another option) the process to make the position lights.

The space is painted with bright aluminum color ...

91.jpg

In a transparent branch, try to make a side a little wider than the space at the tip of the wing sanding.
So that it forms an angle of 90 degrees and can be place it in that space.
Measuring the approximate distance of the location of the focus, a hole is made with a mini-drill (calculating the final size of the focus very well), with the tip of an acupuncture needle, I apply the color clear red and green inside the that little hole, to give life to the new position lights.
(I hope the photos can be clearer than my explanation.) :confused:

92.jpg
93.jpg
94.jpg

Then, it is only a matter of shaping them with files, Dremel and sandpaper, until very fine ones (3000 -12000) so that they are polished ...

95.jpg
96.jpg
97.jpg

Now my job it is only replacing the rivets that have been lost and reconstructing that molding that surrounds each position light. Put on them liquid mask and then paint the wings.

Returning to the camouflage scheme ...:eek:
To make the blu-tak worms, I helped myself with two pieces of glass, to make them as long and uniform as possible.

98.jpg
99.jpg

I think it's a good amount only to start with the fuselage, the tail and the rear spoilers ...

100.jpg

Now comes the interesting thing, but it will be something that I do little by little and with a lot of attention, ... I'll talk to you and show you the progress.

Saludos cordiales y hasta pronto :thumbup:

Awesome work Luis! The tack worms is the same technique I will use for my Oscar's camo, can't wait to see how your camo turns out.

Awesome work Luis! The tack worms is the same technique I will use for my Oscar's camo, can't wait to see how your camo turns out.
Thanks Chad, I already put those worms on the left side of the fuselage, ... tomorrow I hope to have a time to continue.
The idea is to apply the 2nd color to the upper part in the whole fuselage, to then work the wings.
I hope a good result and that set the tone (an idea) for what you have in mind for your Oscar's camu.

Saludos amigo :thumbup:

Yesterday in the night that I finished with the larboard side (and during those moments of strong inspiration), so I followed with the work of the worms. In a total of almost 5 hours I finished this first stage of having all the fuselage ready to paint ... :cool:

What do you think of the result?

101.jpg
102.jpg
103.jpg

I tried to do it the closest thing to the images of Eduard and I hope that at night I have the opportunity to apply the RLM 76

A closeup to look at the spinner.

104.jpg

I plan to start with a mixture of 50 and 50% of airbush thinner and RLM 76 (both of Vallejo) to make the proximity to the worm more tenuous, then apply more layers on the central areas between the worms, until achieving the desirable appearance . I feel that with the paint a little diluted, I can have better control and regulate the paint density.
We will see how it works. :headbang:

Saludos :thumbup:

Thanks, mates and friends. :grouphuuug:

I'm also a little excited about the result of this scheme, so, I show them how things are going, to comment on the way.
The final dilution was 60% paint and 40% thinner (approximately) and thin layers were gradually applied throughout the area to be painted.

105.jpg
106.jpg

I also decided to apply the spray of the airbrush from all angles, to be in all corners and places of difficult access ... :watching:

107.jpg
108.jpg
109.jpg

I only gave him about 30 minutes to start drying and I decided to start removing the worms with great care not to scratch or ruin the relatively fresh paint.

110.jpg
111.jpg

The result I think exceeded my expectations, I thought the waves were going to be wider. :nailbiting:
I think it has to do with what I tried to press the minimum of those worms and uniformly with little touches very close throughout each worm (as you can see in previous photos)

There are several small details that can be corrected or attenuated, and that is where I can try the powdered pastels technique suggested by Slam to Andy.

This I will carry out after finishing the scheme of the wings, to address everything the plane might require.
I leave with these images of my "therapeutic sanctuary" and how I left our 109 to spend the night.

112.jpg
113.jpg
114.jpg

Best regards and excellent Wednesday for all. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Turned out pretty nice Luis-Carlos. I think the thinner-than-expected lines are because you tried to shoot the 76 at all angle around the worms. If you spray only perpendicular to the worms you will get thicker lines but this is tricky on a tightly curving surface like the fuselage. I think the result is very good as is though.

Excellent results! I think the size of the lines came out perfect, it matches the profile picture very well. This is just as I suspected it would be, another beautiful build so far.

Thanks guys, the test turned out to be favorable and it was definitely the best option. I still have to work on the wings.

Turned out pretty nice Luis-Carlos. I think the thinner-than-expected lines are because you tried to shoot the 76 at all angle around the worms. If you spray only perpendicular to the worms you will get thicker lines but this is tricky on a tightly curving surface like the fuselage. I think the result is very good as is though.
Thanks Andy for the comment. In fact I started with the airbrush perpendicular, but so many curves, some very close to each other and in areas such as the intake of air, under the rear stabilizers and near the root of the wings, it was impossible to get only in that way.

Excellent results! I think the size of the lines came out perfect, it matches the profile picture very well. This is just as I suspected it would be, another beautiful build so far.
The size of the lines is very similar to what is seen in pictures of real aircrafts with that scheme. Thanks Chad for your words.

I hope that today I can continue working for a while on her.

Feliz Jueves a todos :thumbup:

Last edited:
The application of the "worms" was less complicated than in the fuselage and even gave me the opportunity to make adjustments with respect to what I originally drew with a pencil ...

115.jpg
116.jpg

Painting on the wings, gave me the opportunity to use the airbrush and apply the spray perpendiculary ...

117.jpg
118.jpg
119.jpg

Once the worms are removed, I already have the complete panorama of the areas where I will have to work to improve the appearance of this scheme ...

120.jpg

I already have the other photos of what I worked on yesterday ... I'm back with them!
:pilotsalute:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back