1/48 hasagawa d3a1 val "pearl harbor"

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I noticed that on my decals there are numbers for making other aircraft. so I was planning to build either BII-214 from Hiryu or BI-259 from Soryu. does any one have any information on these two. especially the plaque on the cowl of BII-214.

With the decal selection you have plenty to choose from, neither of your choices were notable, other than BII-214 was a casualty and shot down, the plaque as you describe it was a data stencil but I can't tell you what was on it.

If it is to be a PH Val then minimal 'weathering' would be in order, at this time the pride of the Japanese Navy, these aircraft were in tip top condition inside and out...

I noticed that on my decals there are numbers for making other aircraft. so I was planning to build either BII-214 from Hiryu or BI-259 from Soryu. does any one have any information on these two. especially the plaque on the cowl of BII-214.

Without a picture of the plaque it is difficult to say.
One possibility is a "Hokoku" denoting that is was a gift from a company, individual, or even collected by street side donations. Sometimes school children would gather donations door to door.
Actually quite common in Japan, they had collections for tanks, guns and small patrol craft also.
Though this was usually carried on the fuselage.

Last edited:
thanks for all the information guys. I found this drawing of BI-231 in an osprey val book. I am wondering if the red spots continue on the top side of wings and stabilizers?
File.jpg

I was also wondering what the underside color is supposed to be, light ghost grey?

Again, refer to the link I sent. I believe that he has the right information, as far as I have been able to determine.
Then again, I did paint a Rufe purple once, based on the best info available at that time. (1970's)
Japanese aircraft colors remain an interesting study. The emergence of the "Bamboo green" debate of late is of particular interest. There is much dissention as to exactly what shade of "grey/white/whatever-green" this is.
The very fact that Japanese paint was,
1) Unstable.
2) Made by many different manufactures.
And,
3)Open to interpretation.
Because of a reliance on spoken (Or written) word instead of color chips, this makes this discussion difficult.
Nakajima green varied through out the war, from a deep green to a blue-green.
When you have a limited economy, and all these other factors figured in, is it any wonder that the aircraft of imperial Japan
sported such weird field Canno.

The Red was applied to the fuselage only on Egusa's aircraft, there have been a few different interpretations of it. If and when i get to this aircraft I will do it in a similar fashion to that profile.

Donation "Hokoku" markings were carried on the rear fuselage with a sequence number and the donating party, not on the cowling.

see Val boxart from Internet search.

There were different greens Paul, made not by Nakajima or Mitsubishi but by separate paint manufacturers Colours also did vary from different manufacturers for the same paint colour supplied to the Navy or the Army.

Attachments

• AII-256boxart_zpsbe0d702f.jpg
    AII-256boxart_zpsbe0d702f.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 197
Last edited:
Also Austin, Pearl Harbor Vals only carried the centre line 250kg bomb, the outer wing racks were not fitted (for 60kg bombs) only the attachment points for the racks were in place

Attachments

• Bomb rack attachment.JPG
    Bomb rack attachment.JPG
    41.6 KB · Views: 214
Cheers Andy.

Austins colour does come close to one surviving Val cockpit while another is a darker green, Val cockpits were a darker shade of green than the Zero colour, while Kate cockpits leaned towards a yellow green.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back