1/48 hasagawa d3a1 val "pearl harbor"

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Austin A

Airman
Sep 7, 2013
Hi guys this is my first wip. I will be doing this oob. I was wondering about the correct interior color, is it xf-71? would appreciate any help.
model 054.JPG

Welcome to the forum. You even bought a new cutting mat!

Sorry but I'm Zero help on Japanese aircraft (get it?) but I'm sure Wayne or Shinpachi will be along to answer your question. If I had to guess, steel would make sense.

There is a great deal of information in some of the older G.B. posts on interior colors for Japanese aircraft.
Might be worth your while to look at some of those.
The green shown on the cover looks to bright to me.

Hey Austin nice to see you starting a wip feel free to ask questions great bunch of guy here and great source of information. Looking forward to your progress pics.

Hi Austin the interior colour is a slightly darker green for the Val than was used on the Zero, the FS equivalent is similar to 34102.

What aircraft will you be depicting, a PH aircraft or other? as the box top art is not a Pearl Harbour marking.

Hi Austin the interior colour is a slightly darker green for the Val than was used on the Zero, the FS equivalent is similar to 34102.

What aircraft will you be depicting, a PH aircraft or other? as the box top art is not a Pearl Harbour marking.

this is the aircraft I was planning to do, the instructions said it was a pearl harbor attacker
models 005.JPG
do you know a place where I could get any info on this aircraft.

BI-231 was flown by Hikotaicho, Lt. Commander Takashige Egusa whom led the Second attack wave Dive Bombers, Egusa supposedly had 2 aircraft available to him, on Dec 7th he was flying his 'other' aircraft which apparently had large irregular patterns of Red along the fuselage of his aircraft there have been several different depictions of this pattern but no photo's exist. However there is evidence via other Japanese aircrew confirming the Red pattern, referred to as 'Akatora' (Red Tiger)
The green marked aircraft was used at a later time and not at Pearl harbor.

BI-231 was flown by Hikotaicho, Lt. Commander Takashige Egusa whom led the Second attack wave Dive Bombers, Egusa supposedly had 2 aircraft available to him, on Dec 7th he was flying his 'other' aircraft which apparently had large irregular patterns of Red along the fuselage of his aircraft there have been several different depictions of this pattern but no photo's exist. However there is evidence via other Japanese aircrew confirming the Red pattern, referred to as 'Akatora' (Red Tiger)
The green marked aircraft was used at a later time and not at Pearl harbor.

Thank you very much for the information. I was wondering if there are any photos or information on other vals that attacked pearl harbor.

Wayne will more than likely fill up your hard drive with photos. I've got a few books and see if I can find anything until he wakes up.

Geo

EDIT: Sorry Austin. I have two books, both in Japanese.

Last edited:
US Sailors examine wreckage of Japanese Aichi D3A "Val" dive bomber that crashed during Pearl Harbor attack, Dec 1941. Naval personnel salvage Val dive bomber AII-251 assigned to the carrier Kaga. Tail section was broken away. Aircraft crashed near the Pan American Airways Landing at Pearl City. Crew KIA assigned to AII-251 were PO3c Noboru Sakaguchi (Pilot) and PO3c Nagaaki Asahi who was the (Gunner/Radioman)

50f787b1f017a.jpg

Aichi D3A1 "Val" dive bombers prepare to take off from a Japanese aircraft carrier during the morning of 7 December 1941 to attack Pearl Harbor.

Jap_planes_preparing-Pearl_Harbor.jpg

Please have alook at the site... #14 - PEARL HARBOR raid - training time

AI-205photo_zps7435ecb1.jpg

BII-214photo_zps63aba878.jpg

AI-208photo_zps97c1b25f.jpg

The link Wojtek has posted provides a good selection of profile work and some photo's there are not a lot of PH images. Vals were in one of 2 primary colours carrying the various identifiers of coloured fuselage stripes for the different Carriers or Command markings on the vertical tail. Some of the PH Command Vals were painted in different fuselage colours this was an aid for pilots to reform on their leader after their attacks were completed.

Click on the Profiles icon top right once on the linked site and this will give you the full list showing the other sections for Val's, Zero's and Kates for Pearl Harbor...

And the first and third Vals in the above pics with the RED tails are pre war aircraft, the carrier shot is Akagi in the foreground and Soryu in the background Egusa's aircraft carrier.

Last edited:
Oh sorry .. yes I have forgotten about it.

Here another shot... an Aichi D3A Val is removed from its crash site during the cleanup after the Pearl Harbor attack.

D3AValsalvagedPearlHarborthumb.jpg

this is how the cockpit looks so far. I painted it model master medium green.
models 1 018.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back