1/48 He 51B-2 Float Plane - Seaplanes / Floatplanes of WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks guys, much appreciated.

I been beatying my branes out over these flat rod wires. Finally hit on a method. I'm gonna stretch some sorue to about .3-4 mm. Then flatten that. I've done a bit of a test and it seems easy to get flat. But to control the thickness I'll put a piece or two thicknesses of PE on one jaw of my flat broad pliers. Then squash to that and this should control the thickness and width of the new rod. Easy peasy............... he says!

I sailor on.

Four pages of catch-up and some more good tips. Nothing wrong with what your doing Bill. Following yours and others mods and corrections makes me try to do better myself.

Geo

Bugger, all sprue does not streetch the same. Have just sent off for some .5mm round Evergreen styrene....................... I now know what does Not work, which is as important as knowing what Does.

Not sure if the evergreen round styrene will flatten out well Bill. My thoughts for this sort of work would turn to strips of square/oblong balsa sanded back to shape and sealed with white glue. Just a thought.

The Evergreen flattens nicely Vic. .5mm will dflatten to just .3 or so to get the shape.
I can't imagine shaping Balsa. Nooooo thanks.

I have the same Wayne, but it would be square cornered.
Squashing round would have a nicer effect. It's on its way.
I can still, I hope, work on it with my arm in a sling. Thursdaqy is the op.

And now my surgeon is "teaching me a lesson" for My cancelling one, by putting Me off for another painful month!!!! till the 14th of Aug!

I think it was Wojtek who said once that stretched sprue will retain the shape of the original profile after you stretch it. In other words, round sprue will stay round, sprue that's filed square will stretch square, etc. So you have nothing to lose Bill if you try shaping a piece of sprue with a file to the profile you want and then stretching it. Mght work for you.

Thanks Vic.

I tried the sprue trick, if worked!
But.... I need 70mm long pieces, and could only get about 60.
It works quite well tho. Could make hex nuts this way !!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back