1/48 Heinkel He-111

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

In another recess over the riveting, I started landing another idea to improve the appearance of the landing light ... ( I think I declare myself a terminally ill patient of "delirium-progressive-mental" :crazy: for the details not included in the kits and without using aftermarkets :hilarious:)

344.jpg

Again this is my selection of images from which I mainly took the ideas and references to try it ...

340.jpg

(images obtained from the internet)

Taking advantage of a medical treatment of injections for one of the daughters, I kept the packages of "this transparent plastic material" (I do not remember the correct name, and less in English) and besides being very thin and flexible, it has a cylindrical part, almost with the same curvature that I require for the crystal of the LL

342.jpg
343.jpg

Another section of the same cylindrical piece that I used to fix the posture of the internal supports of the rear tire, helped me to make the spotlight.

345.jpg
346.jpg

I had already tried this modification for the first time in my past B-25G "Shark Mouth", and I liked the result.
I made the estimated strokes to start the modification. To the interior cubicle I thinned the vertical walls:

347.jpg
348.jpg

What allowed me to confirm that the diameter of my spotlight was bigger, so I had to make a second attempt with a thinner branch of plastic ...

350.jpg

Now it was more proportional to the size that I require.

With this last photo I delimit the area that I will wear so that the new transparent piece is at the level of the skin of the wing.

349.jpg

I come back with more :thumbup:

Gracias compadritos! :salute:A., :salute:G. y:salute:W.

Among my accumulated curiosities, I have tiny metallic spheres (do not ask me where I got them from) that can simulate the central sphere of the spotlight ...

357.jpg

With a piece of aluminum foil, I did a first test with the 1st. L.L.

358.jpg

the small metallic sphere, it looks small, but in the final spotlight, it is on the right scale.

359.jpg

I prepared the space where the spotlight will go and also where it will fit the piece of transparent plastic ...

351.jpg
352.jpg

Finally, cut the approximate size of the spotlight and with sandpaper I checked to give it the right size and the small inclination it has compared to the front view.

360.jpg
361.jpg

... and I put it in its place.

362.jpg
363.jpg
364.jpg

I liked it better than the two I did for my B-25G ("there will always be a way to make things better" ... it's a phrase I like :study:)
At any time available I will put color to assemble at once its "glass" cover.

I also tell them that I have finished with the riveting of the fuselage :coffee: and... :-k ... I am analyzing the possibility of joining the two clear pieces of the front of our bomber, to prepare me for the exterior painting process. :-k

What it will mean to have to mask at once, all the clear pieces, and place the ready pieces that complement the interior of the cockpit.
These actions would allow me to achieve that the union of all the pieces would be better, both painted and firmly joined. ( I think 8-[ )

I am analyzing it and I would like to know your comments and recommendations about it.

Estaré atento a sus opiniones :thumbup:

Looking good Luis. However I have to say that the aluminium foil does't work as the light mirror. Usually it is too thick and you always get the wrinkles of the foil all around and in the spherical cap. I have made the same mistake when making the lights for my 1/25 Cromwell tank. See the pic below.The main turret light doesn't look as good as I expected. So the better way for making a such part is to make the bowl like you have made and polishing its interior. And then, either apply the metalic silver or chrome paint at the black gloss backround or a clear gloss and the silver colour.

lights.jpg

That would be my way of doing it L-C. I almost always attach the glass before painting so as to be able to work on the joint and obtain the best fit possible before the paint goes on.
Normally and for that reason, to be able to work on the joint and obtain the best fit possible, that's how I do it too.
On this occasion, due to the windows I have opened in the greenhouse and roof of the cockpit, I came to consider painting them separately. But I've also thought about how to cover these openings, so as not to accidentally paint the interior ... and I think I have a way to do it and be able to remove those provisional "patches" once I finish the process of painting and everything that follows...
Thanks for your comment Andy. :thumbleft:

Looking good Luis. However I have to say that the aluminium foil does't work as the light mirror. Usually it is too thick and you always get the wrinkles of the foil all around and in the spherical cap. I have made the same mistake when making the lights for my 1/25 Cromwell tank. See the pic below.The main turret light doesn't look as good as I expected. So the better way for making a such part is to make the bowl like you have made and polishing its interior. And then, either apply the metalic silver or chrome paint at the black gloss backround or a clear gloss and the silver colour...
You're right about that, Wojtek. It is very small that spotlight in 1/48, it is possible that after painting all that place, do not notice much that is corrugated only in the contour of aluminum foil. Taking into account that the original photos show the contour of the same material, I intended to leave it that way :!:; but it is possible that painting that contour (like yours in green :thumbright:), of some gray or steel, I managed to disguise a little that corrugated, that I think, it will be a matter of trying both results (without painting the outline and painted), sharing the photos and give me your best opinion.

I will be able to continue working and see how the results are being given in both topics with your kind comments.

Thanks fellas :thumbup::thumbup:

Thanks Glenn for your words, they are flattering, but it has only been practice and good advice from more experienced people.
You know the rule: ask, accept the recommendation and precticate it.
Usually the last attempt is better than the previous one.

Gracias amigo y saludos cordiales :thumbup:

These are the photos that were left pending the conclusion of the riveting of the fuselage ...

353.jpg
354.jpg
355.jpg

Returning to our landing light, I taped a piece of the plastic material that I will use as glass to see what it will look like (and there will be no friction between the pieces).

365.jpg
366.jpg
367.jpg
368.jpg

I painted the base of the spotlight in black and the whole area in medium gray ... what do you think? :-k

369.jpg
370.jpg
372.jpg
371.jpg

When adjusting the transparent piece in the area that I prepared, I will analyze the option (and your opinions) about whether or not to paint the outline of the spotlight.

Meanwhile, I'm going to start masking the clear pieces.

Thanks for stopping by to say hello. :thumbup:

Looking good Luis. But as I had mentioned , the wrinkles of the aluminuium foil still can be seen. In a such case it would be better to mask the plastic stick leaving the contour of the spotlight with the light bowl free of the masking tape. Then apllying of the gloss clear or black paint and then the silver or chrome metalic.

... I can try it, thanks W. for the advice. :thumbup:
... Although I also thought about filling with putty, all that wrinkled contour and giving it a smooth finish with fine sandpaper ... :thumbup:

No don't use the sandpaper. Aluminium foil after treating with the sand paper gets matt dark grey tone. Rather use your thumb nail to press the wrinkles down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back