1/48 Mosquito B Mk IV - Heavy Hitters II GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Looking really good Andy ;) I had to go back to pg1 to remember which a/c you were doing when I saw that OG......

Thanks very much for the kudos guys.

Today, I sprayed on the Dark Green. Oddly, I ended up doing this two ways. I started on the horizontal stabilizer by masking the edges using the Blu-Tac "worms" in order to get a soft demarcation. I tried this once before, didn't like it, but thought I'd give it another go since I saw some other models at one of our shows that looked pretty good.

Rather than mask the entire aircraft, I decided to do a few small sections at a time. So when the masked area was painted, I had some paint left in the cup so I went to another area and tried free handing. The free hand edge turned out to be pretty good so I continued to finish that section freehand. Although I prefer the freehand edge, I found that I did not like the uneven finish that resulted from having to turn back at the edge. With the mask, the finish is more even since one can spray beyond the edge. So in the end, I continued with the "worm" masking. The pic below shows the difference between the freehand patch (on the left) and the masked area (right). The uneveness on the left should disappear with a gloss coat and subsequent matte coat.

13102002.jpg

Here are two overall shots of the completed uppers.

13102001.jpg

13102003.jpg

Next will be the black sides and underside. For this I'll use a sightly lightened black so it's not so stark. Question is, was this a soft or hard demarcation? I'm thinking soft based on pics.

Thanks guys. Glenn, I think so too and am not too worried. I think the Blu-tac method makes for an easier application though the edge is not as realistic as a good freehand edge.

With regard to the black demarcation with the upper camo, there are few pics in my collection that make for good references but I've posted two below.

BMk XVI.jpg

DK333 109 Sqdn.jpg

Both these pics show what I would interpret as a soft demarcation on the fuselage, at least at the nose. I have one more faint photo of s/n DZ637 that would not survive a scan but it suggests a soft demarcation along the back of the fuselage as well. However, the demarcation on the engine cowls is hard and it appears the painters simply removed the cowls and painted them black before replacing them, thus creating the sharp edge. This can be seen in the first pic above but also in a picture I have taken from the cockpit of a BMk. IV in flight.

If anyone has more definitive pics, interpretations, or info, I'd love to hear about it.

Geo, you da man! Definitely a soft edge and, what's more, it's not perfectly straight. I've tossed around two schemes, "Grim Reaper" being one. The other is DZ518 coded AZ-F of 627 Squadron. Any chance you have a pic of that one? (See page 1).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back