1/48 Mosquito B Mk IV - Heavy Hitters II GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Ok, the box is reopened and I started back into this project. Terry's spinners arrived today and these will replace the kit parts. I took the below picture of the misshapen kit spinner at left next to the nicer one sent by Terry.

13060301.jpg

One other knock against the Revell kit is that the tires are too large in diameter. Below is a pic of the kit tire at right next to one of the pair of resin wheels I picked up on the weekend for a fiver.

13060302.jpg

Reviewers have also stated that the gear struts for the kit are too short so, in combination with the smaller tire, the model might sit quite low unless this is addressed. I'll do some digging using the local Mossie restoration as a reference to see where the kit parts are wrong, if at all, and see if any easy remedies can be made.

I'll get back into the cockpit area once I look through some references Terry sent me and look forward to posting some progress pics.

Quite a difference in those spinners Andy, and even without the resin wheels as comparison, the kit wheels just loo wrong!
Shame Revell got these parts, and apparently the gear struts wrong, as from all accounts the rest of the kit is rather nice. Looking forward to watching the build progress.

Nice to see you on to this one now Andy, I visualise some big things coming and what a difference with the wheels and spinners.

I think it will Karl. Rest of the Revell kit looks pretty good although there's a bit more flash than I'd like.

The Revell kit provides plenty of nice detail in the cockpit but, if you know me, I can never let things go at that. Having said that, I'm well aware that much of the detail will be difficult to see if not obscured completely once the walls are glued together. To check what will be seen, I taped the halves together and noted the areas that will be visible through the canopy, entry hatch, and nose bubble.

13060902.jpg

13060903.jpg

13060904.jpg

13060907.jpg

In the first and last pics, you can see how the radio receiver unit, to the left of the navigator seat, is placed such that the face is right up against the seat bulkhead so this will be moved to the port a bit. Also, I didn't like the solid support which should be a tubular frame. So here's what I did so far with that unit, admittedly going overboard a bit with the handles....

13060911.jpg

This unit isn't finished yet and I'll post more on this later.

On the port wall, seen below in a before and after shot, I added 3 throttle linkages and a couple of wires. Oh, and the locating pin on the top of the fuselage was removed as this will be visible through the hatch and nose.

13060906.jpg

13060908.jpg

Similarly, the starboard side received some sizable electrical cables

13060905.jpg

13060909.jpg

The pilot seat will also be enhanced. Below area couple of pics showing the armrest replacement and the added ring for the seatbelts.

13060901.jpg

13060910.jpg

There will be more to come in these areas, hopefully before I leave for Hamilton on Wednesday. Thanks for looking in.

Last edited:
Nice work so far Andy. I grabbed a couple of shots of the Mossie undercarriage at Cosford, whilst shooting the Lincoln for Evan, so I'll e-mail them to you once I've sorted and re-sized them.

Guessed you would have Andy, but I was there, the cowlings were off, and I had two cameras in my fists!
Yep, no problem D - send me a PM with an e-mail address.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back