<-- 1/48 Mosquito PR.IX -Twin Engined Aircraft WWII (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks Hugh and Geo.
Been working on the second prop, and have also sealed the decals with a gloss coat. All being well, I hope to get the matt clear coat sprayed tomorrow.
I had a minor 'panic moment' when handling the model, as I could hear something rattling around, somewhere inside, and feared something in the cockpit had come adrift. A bit of a shake, and one of the plastic 'washers', used to secure the prop assembly in place, if the instruction steps are followed, which I'd cemented inside the nacelle, fell out of the port wheel bay. It probably got dislodged when test fitting the prop (very tight fit) to check that it looked right.
Phew, relief !
I'd only cemented it in place to aid with alignment, and possibly provide extra support to the shaft on the rear of the spinner back plate, so no great loss.
With luck, I might have more to show some time tomorrow.

those decals are much better terry. as for the props, the workmanship looks very nice...by that I mean there is no evidence like sanding marks or funny shapes to give away that you have done quite a bit to them.....

Thanks very much, Michael and Andy.
Got the first coat of matt clear done, but it's looking like it will need another one or two coats to achieve the desired finish. Menwhile, work is underway on the other bits and pieces. I hope to post some pica later today.

Time heals everything ... it was necessary to take a break and return with new energy !! :thumbright:

It's nice to see the "Mosquito" back in action. Well done master. :occasion5:

Saludos mi querido amigo :thumbup:

Thanks Luis.
Got the second coat of clear matt done, which is starting to get close to the finish required. I'll wait until it's fully dried before deciding whether or not it needs a further coat, or possibly coats - I'm guessing that it will.
I really wish I could find a clear matt which actually works as matt, and doesn't leave grey or cloudy patches - still using my home made mix of Humbrol Gloss Clear (acrylic) and Tamiya flat base.
Can't get any pics just yet, but I'll post some soon.

Good to see you back at it and nice work on the props Terry. I've had good performance out of the Gunze Flat Clear.

Thanks Kirby.
I've heard good things about the Gunze products, but unfortunately iIcan't get it locally, and the only 'on-line' source has a minimum order value.

Thanks Karl.
Got three coats of matt clear on it so far, but the upper wings need another coat, to eliminate the 'patchy' appearance, caused by the gloss clear on the 'pebble' texture surface of the plastic.
Been a bit stiff and sore the last couple of days, so couldn't do any work, but hope to get the final matt coat done later today, then remove the masking and get to work on the details, before figuring out how to get the undercart fitted - it's supposed to be attached before fitting the nacelles to the wings, but I decided to leave it off to simplify painting etc.

Should have some pics later.

The final matt clear coat has been applied, and turned out reasonable, although there are a couple of small areas that have 'bloomed', which I hope can be rectified fairly easily. They may yet clear after more time in a warmer environment - the photos were taken only about 1.5 hours after application, before moving the model to a heated room.
The masking has been removed from the radiator intakes, exhaust slots, and all transparencies, and the latter have yet to be cleaned of adhesive residue from the tape.
Work has started on some simple detail on the entrance hatch, and the next step is to get the undercart fitted, followed by some detail painting and a little weathering etc, before fitting the exhausts, props, and final bits and pieces.
Apologies for the 'grainy' pics, taken in poor light - it's duller than a Hippocroccofrog's arm pit here at the moment !

PICS 1 and 2. How the model looks after the final matt clear coat, with the masking removed.
PICS 3 and 4. The small areas of 'bloom' in the matt clear coat. If these don't clear, then a 'spot' application of clear matt will be applied by brush, possibly after a thin local application of clear gloss.
PIC 5. The vac-formed canopy after removal of the masks, awaiting cleaning and polishing.
PICS 6 and 7. The inner locking latch and jettison foot pad were added to the entrance hatch, and the exterior handle too, using stretched sprue. When fully set, these will be cleaned up, and the interior handles improved, using PVA, and a central hinge plate added to the inner latch, before painting and fitting the window from the kit.

More to come soon (ish !) ................

Mosquito PR.IX Build 330.JPG
Mosquito PR.IX Build 332.JPG
Mosquito PR.IX Build 333.JPG
Mosquito PR.IX Build 335.JPG
Mosquito PR.IX Build 337.JPG
Mosquito PR.IX Build 328.JPG
Mosquito PR.IX Build 329.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back