<-- 1/48 Mosquito PR.IX -Twin Engined Aircraft WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks Andy.
The gloss isn't too much of a problem, as the Humbrol acrylic gloss works quite well, although normally needs 2 to 3 coats to get a good, deep gloss finish, depending on the surface.
The matt is mixed using the Humbrol gloss, and Tamiya Flat Base, as I used to do with Johnson's Klear (Future) before it changed to the rubbish now being sold in the UK. It works fine normally, although it takes a bit of trial and error to achieve the desired mix.

I think the problem here is the textured surface of the 'new' parts in this kit, where the gloss has gone on in an uneven way, leaving patches of gloss and closer to semi-gloss, even after 3 to 4 coats. A similar thing happens if the surface is painted with satin paint, which always seems to dry patchy, that is, satin, gloss and matt !
Various forum members have suggested alternative clear matt varnishes, but unfortunately, those that I can find on-line in the UK (not at my LHS) are only available in very small bottles, similar to the small Tamiya paints, and consequently work out quite expensive in the long run.
I've tried the Xtracrylic in matt and gloss, both of which dry with a milky finish, and also tried the Humbrol acrylic matt clear, which dries cloudy too !
Next to try is the Vallejo matt clear, which is available in larger, more economically priced bottles (50ml and 500ml).

Terry.

I use Vallejo acrylics as you know, the matt varnish has worked ok for me with a traditional brush, its a milky colour and slightly thick in consistency.

First coat usually has a semi matt sheen , no idea what its like when airbrushed on though ?

Thanks mate. I presume a second and / or third coat will give a full matt finish. Do you know if there are any thinning suggestions on the bottle ?
think I'll try it anyway.

Doesn't seem to Andy. The Humbrol stuff is very like the original Klear (Future) in use, and the FB mixes in without problem. The trick is getting the proportions right - too little FB and you end up with a semi-matt finish, too much and it goes chalky when dry.
This of course means taking the time to experiment with the dried finish for each batch mixed, adding some FB, trying it and letting it dry, adding more FB and so on.
However, it does work best on an even surface, so an overall smooth gloss finish is essential. Any patchy finish, where there might be some areas not quite as glossy, will require further coats of the matt in order to even out the overall finish, which is what I had to do on the upper wing inboard sections of the Mossie.
This also applies to the Humbrol gloss - if a model is painted in, for example, a mix of matt and satin paints, then it takes a lot of gloss to get an even finish. This is one advantage of the Xtracolor gloss paints - at least they (normally) dry smooth gloss overall.

I think those two small areas of 'bloom' were very probably my own fault, spraying in less than perfect lighting conditions; I think I probably hit those two areas rather heavily, more than likely going over them twice, causing a heavy coat.
I've since 'spot coated' them, by brush, and there is an improvement, so later today I'll give the areas a very light, sprayed misting, just to 'take the edge off' things.

I've left the matt clear problem for now, and got on with further construction stages, with the intention of 'fixing' the clear coat problem later - I hope !
Meanwhile, the undercarriage has had the brake lines made and fitted, and the mudguard support brackets have had the lightening holes drilled out (a partly pointless exercise, as I discovered these can't be seen once the gear doors are in place !), and the gear legs and wheels have been assembled and fitted. This was a bit of a trial,as they're supposed to be assembled and fitted into the nacelles before fitting the latter to the wings, but were deliberately omitted to simplify handling and painting of the model. But, it only required a bit of trimming here and there, and around three hours work and a lot of cursing to get them installed !
The gear bay doors have also been fitted, another fiddly task that was supposed to be done when assembling the nacelles.
Next step is to start on the small detail painting, including painting, glazing and tinting the I.D. lamps on the underside, then paint and fit the exhausts, before some light weathering and the fitting final small detail parts.
I hope to have some pics tomorrow.

The details you are describing in words sound amazing terry. Cant wait to see the pictures of how they turned out.

Hope you can solve your clear coat issues.

Thanks Michael and Grant.

Nearly at the finished stage.
I ended up giving that 'bloomed' clear matt area a thin coat of paint, in a patchy manner, and then, when dry, sprayed another thin coat of clear matt, which seems to have worked (time will tell), and gives it a slightly weathered look, which will have to suffice.
Meanwhile, the undercart was retouched and the doors fitted, along with the exhausts, and some light exhaust staining and dirt on the wing roots has been added.
Props are assembled and painted, though not yet fitted, and a start has been made on the underside I.D. lamps.

PIC 1. Undercart and exhausts in place.
PIC 2. The modified props after assembly and painting. Some edge weathering has yet to be added to the prop blades - and the dust removed from the spinners !!
PIC 3. The I.D. lamps were previously countersunk, and have been painted silver. These will then be glazed with Humbrol Clear Fix and, when set, the colours will be applied using Tamiya clear red, blue and yellow.
PIC 4. How it looks so far, up on its legs.

Next step is to do some minor re-touching, and then clean those areas where dust and / or handling have left blemishes, before fitting the final small bits and pieces, and adding the antenna wire.
All being well, I hope to get this finished within the next couple of days, and then get back to work on the Mosquito FB.VI.

Mosquito PR.IX Build 339.JPG
Mosquito PR.IX Build 340.JPG
Mosquito PR.IX Build 341.JPG
Mosquito PR.IX Build 346.JPG
Mosquito PR.IX Build 343.JPG

everything looks great terry, but in particular the clear parts are a real stand out, for clarity. great work. I find it very inspirational to watch a difficult build come together.

Thanks very much Michael. It's not as good as it should have been, or could have been, partly due to some of the problems, and partly due to my stiff hands and neck and shoulders at the moment.
But I agree about the canopy - I'm really impressed with the vac-form item from Rob Taurus.

Thanks Andy.
Overall, I'm reasonably pleased with it so far. Yes, there are a few lumps and bumps here and there, but to the naked eye it looks reasonable. However, if I was to do another two-stage Merlin Mossie, such as the B.XVI, I'd use the Tamiya kit and a resin conversion kit for the engine nacelles, as the fit of the 'new' parts in the Airfix kit, and especially that horrible 'pebbled' surface texture, just take too much work. A shame, as this kit could have been very good to excellent, had the obvious shortcuts and 'mix and match' of parts been avoided.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back