1/48 P-47 Razorback - Tamiya Kit

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hey, Guys,
Thanks for looking in. Terry, I did have to clean up the rear bulkhead to get a better fit into the fuselage. Things look much better now. On to the engine... I decided to make up a harness for the engine to get a lil more life in the cowl. I used some copper wire from a length of phone cable. I created 18 shallow grooves on the backside of the ignition/reduction assembly and superglued the wire into place. I need to go back and paint the wire and then install the front bank of cylinders, install the proper harnesses, then install the back bank, and install those harnesses. Hope to get that done tomorrow.

Pic:
Engine Harness.JPG

Last edited:
Ok, guys, I have a question for you all. I am going to add the bombs out on the wings on this bird. My question is, generally, how many yellow strips around the bombs, the location of the stripes, and the width of the stripes in 1/48th? I am thinking the width, in scale, will be around 1mm? I am used to seeing a single strip around the nose location, but somewhere I have seen two stripes, one near the nose and the other about midway back? Any help would most appreciated.

Markings could depend on the bomb weight and type of filling, and casing. I've just been painting the bombs for my P-47, in this case, 1,000lb HE, tail-fused.working from photos.
There were various positions for the yellow nose ring (indicating live explosive), varying from just aft of the nose fuse cap, to the first 'straight' section of the bomb casing, and I've opted for the latter, with a yellow band approximately 1mm wide. Between this and the nose cap there is another band, this time red and approximately 1/2 mm wide
The tail band is again yellow, 1mm wide, and placed approximately half way own the tapered part of the casing, before the joint with the tail fins.

Markings could depend on the bomb weight and type of filling, and casing. I've just been painting the bombs for my P-47, in this case, 1,000lb HE, tail-fused.working from photos.
There were various positions for the yellow nose ring (indicating live explosive), varying from just aft of the nose fuse cap, to the first 'straight' section of the bomb casing, and I've opted for the latter, with a yellow band approximately 1mm wide. Between this and the nose cap there is another band, this time red and approximately 1/2 mm wide
The tail band is again yellow, 1mm wide, and placed approximately half way own the tapered part of the casing, before the joint with the tail fins.

Hey, Terry,
Thank you for the feedback. I think these are 500 lbs. But, they may be 250 lbs. I will goggle around and read some other material to see if I can figure this out.

Ok, the prop is done. Holy cow, 13 decals for the Gabby bird's prop. The spiral was a royal pain to get on and settled. Not perfect, but close I think. I did just a touch of wear on the base of the blades and a bit up the blades.

Pic:
Propeller.JPG

Nice work on the prop - spirals are the work of the devil, and should be banned!
If the bombs are kit-supplied, they'll be 500 lb, not 250 lb I would think. Most kits include these, although the Academy kit has both 500lb and 1,000 lb.
Markings would be similar but, to make it easier, the thin red band was hardly visible and, from what I can see in most photographs showing the 500 lb bombs, it either can't be seen, or isn't present. The red band also ha stenciled lettering showing the type of explosive and weight - impossible to replicate in this scale!

Hey, Guys,
Thanks for stopping by. I finished the engine up today. Got the harness routed to the cyclinders, painted the reduction assembly, dirtied it all up a bit, and installed it in the cowling. Cowling is now on the fuse. I am putting the Jug to the side for the next few days to get back on the Corsair for GB21. Man, this Tamiya kit is SWEET!!! I had to do a touch of filling on the belly fuse seam. For some reason, there was a tiny bit of a sink in the plastic that needed a dollop of putty. All fuse seam sanding is now complete.

Pics:
EngineInCowl1.JPG
EngineProp1.JPG
FuseCowlLftSide.JPG
FuseCowlRgtSide.JPG
FuseCowlTop.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back