1/48 P-47 Razorback - Tamiya Kit (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Ok, getting ready to shoot the OD now. As I was prepping for the OD, a question hit me. The area behind the headrest and before the exterior of the aircraft, does that get OD or interior green? I am thinking OD due to it being visible to the outside world, but I thought I would ask the collective wisdom here.

Ok, I finished up the gray and OD. I am gonna let it sit for 24 hrs and then get the gloss coat on. I am happy with the effect of the pre-shading I got on this one. I wanted some weathering, but I did not want to get carried away given that this is an ace's bird that more than likely received some special TLC from the ground guys. Should be ready to decal by the weekend. All in all, this kit is simply a true dream to build.

Pics:
FinishCoatBelly.JPG
FinishCoatFront.JPG
FinishCoatLft.JPG

Last edited:
Nicely done. The rear fuselage colour demarcation looks a touch high though
The area you asked about, immediately behind the cockpit, under the canopy, is normally Interior Green. However, this was sometimes also seen in the exterior colour, and other combinations. For example, on aircraft which started out in bare metal, but were then painted, the area can be seen in bare metal. Some bare metal aircraft had this area in Interior Green, and others in bare metal, and so on.
The only way to be certain of the colour, is to see photos of the actual aircraft being modelled, but, if in doubt, paint it Interior Green. On my example in the 'Bridge Buster' thread, below this thread, I checked photos of other aircraft from the unit, and they all seemed to be Interior Green. As this area couldn't be clearly seen on the the two photos I had of my subject, I went with the majority.

Hey, Terry,
Thanks for the feedback. I am still digging around for more info on Gabby's razorback. I can find numerous pics of his bubbletop, far less for his razorback. So, all my painting has been done with the AeroMaster decal sheet. I tried to get as close as I could to what this sheet shows (see below). The fairly straight line on the fuse just aft of the supercharger inlet will be covered by the insignia so I felt I could get away with the straight line. Otherwise, I think I am in reasonable shape as per the decal color reference.

AeroMaster Gabby.jpeg

My apologies - I'd forgotten this was 'Gabby's' aircraft. I have two profiles of this -D-11, for different periods, showing the same, higher demarcation, and photos of some other aircraft from the Group also show a similar demarcation, with others the 'standard' line. Very possibly a factory peculiarity of the period, between Farmigdale and Evansville.
It looks like the area under the canopy would almost certainly be Interior Green on this aircraft.

Hey, Terry,
As I was scanning the pic in I saw the interior green there under the aft canopy. It has been duly noted. Clear gloss went on tonight. Giving it another day to set. BTW, what are the profiles that you have? Are these some publication I can track down? I am huge Gabby fan. I am planning on doing his razorback (obviously), his bubble top, his F-86 (any recommendations for a 1/48th kit), and his F-100. I have tracked down F-100 decals, still looking for decals for his F-86.

Andy,
That is the one nice thing being between contracts; having the time to build. I am enjoying the time at the bench completely!

Last edited:
The profiles mentioned are in the Osprey book (Osprey Aviation Elite 2) "56th Fighter Group", by the great Roger Freeman. There 128 pages, including 15 pages of colour profiles (58 profiles in total), illustrated throughout with B&W photos, and the book covers the history of the Group from start to finish.
For the F-86 kit, the Academy 1/48th scale 'Mig Killer' issue takes some beating, but of course it depends which wing was fitted to Gabby's aircraft. It's a beaut kit, and I think better overall than the much more expensive Hasegawa offering.

Hey, Guys,
Thanks for stopping by to check the progress of the build. I have the gloss coat on and let it cure for 24 hrs (using MM clear gloss lacquer). I started the decals. Holy moly, this thing has a TON of stencils. Got the top of wings done and the left side. Like what I am seeing so far.
Terry, thank you for the info. I ordered the Osprey book on the 56th FG.

Pics:
DecalsBottomLft.JPG
DecalsBottomRgt.JPG
DecalsFront.JPG
DecalsLftSide.JPG

Looking good. Note that the national insignia should be under both wings.
The profiles in the book I mentioned, and some photos of other aircraft of the Group from the period, show evidence of the white fin stripe being painted over, either in dark green or fresh Olive Drab (probably the latter), showing darker than the surrounding OD when the aircraft had the red nose. This would be correct, as the fin stripes were obliterated around February.
The profiles also show Gabby's aircraft without stencil breaks in the code letters, although this is not certain just from the profiles - some aircraft from the Squadron had 'solid' letters, and some with stencil breaks - and the two profiles, covering January and February 1944 ('standard' camouflage, and then red nose, painted out fin stripe and addition of striped spinner) strangely depict a slightly different camouflage pattern near the tail.

P-47C-2-RE Thunderbolts of the 61st Fighter Squadron, 1942.
56thfightergroup-61fs-p47s.jpg

The 61st Fighter squadron P-47D 42-8458 HV-F. Gabby used this P-47 with the HV-F code until he moved to HV-A as squadron commander. This photo shows the a/c after it was reassigned to Lt. Evan D McMinn.
hv-f.jpg

The 61st Fighter Squadron P-47D 42-75510 HV-A.
hv-a.jpg

Maj. James R Carter, Palouse, WA. 61st Fighter Squadron. P-47D 42-28834 HV-H. Photo shows result of take-off accident at Boxted on 18 December 1944.
hv-h3.jpg

p47hva5aa.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, Guys,
Thank you for the pics and feedback! I appreciate that you all took the time to do so. Unfortunately, ALL of my decals have the segmented ID codes (HV-A). I was not sure on the insignia under BOTH wings, but I see I need to do so. I will go back and ensure both wings have insignia on the lower surfaces. I am not to sure about insignias on both upper surfaces. There are a couple of pics above that lead me to believe that both upper wings did NOT have insignias; just the upper left wing. Your thoughts?
As for the stripes on the tail...... my reference does not show any stripes at all. I am struggling to see a difference in shading from any over painting. I can go back and add in a stripe of darker OD with not too much effort though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back