1/48 P-51 MK1a by Accurate Miniatures

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

nsmekanik

Senior Airman
Apr 26, 2005
Nanton
So we had our model show here in Nanton on Saturday, and the plan was to enter a few kits and run around like a paparazzi hot on the heals of the latest and greatest. Unfortunately Friday morning I decided to almost take my eye out at work (it's doing ok now and I'll be back at work Monday) so the paparazzi Idea hit the skids, however since I hadn't made a show here in 6 years and had been planning on making this I decided to suffer the discomfort and make the trek and enter a couple of kits and hit up the vendors. Unfortunately I had to head back home for a bit to give the ole eyeball a rest and didn't make it back until the judging was over and the tables were mostly cleared off.

This was a surprise to me as I thought there were some better builds then mine on the table.

Before I left the first time I managed to snag this P-51, and a Tamiya 109 E-4 for a good price.

After I cleaned up and installed the cockpit sides on a test fit is that the floor is to narrow, making difficult to place correctly and the slots for the tabs to locate the floor will be exposed, so I decided to fill those, shim the sides and put a stop at the end of the slot in the sidewall.

Next up was to check the wing to fuselage gap which was wide enough to entail a shim.

Luckily this doesn't create any problems with the fit of the floor, and a test fit of the cowling shows a good fit as well

A bit of warpage with the wings but nothing serious

Any tips suggestions and info will as always be greatly appreciated......

Tim

Wish I'd known you were there Tim as we could have met. I entered 5 builds in the detailed 1/48 single prop category and was shut out this year. A friend of mine won gold in that one.

Well done on your placings.

Wish I'd known you were there Tim as we could have met. I entered 5 builds in the detailed 1/48 single prop category and was shut out this year. A friend of mine won gold in that one.

Well done on your placings.

Thank you, sorry I missed you, I was going to see if you were around but I wasn't up to much more then a quick walk around with the wife which is when I picked up the kits. Congrats to your friend, I never would have thought I would have won anything or that you wouldn't, Imma gonna have to reevaluate my analytical skills I think. We'll catch up sooner or later.

Congrats on the wins and a nice start on the P-51. I built the F-6 version several years ago and found it to be a very nice kit. I have a couple more in the stash and have been thinking about converting one of them into the NA-73 prototype

Users who are viewing this thread