1/48 RCAF Fairey Battle Mk I STF Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks guys. Gotta admit Kirby that resupplying myself with oil based products doesn't turn my crank as I switched to exclusively acrylics years ago due to smell and ease of clean up. I think the oil washes can give a superior effect but I'm not keen on using them. When washing, I've been using either paint or pastels diluted with water and dish soap but it can leave unsightly high water marks if not wiped away. Fine for panel lines but not so much for highlighting raised detail.

Anyway, as promised, here are some pics. The below shot of the instructions shows the limited info you are given to locate the pilot and gunner tubs:

18021101.jpg

Note that, if one were to believe the positioning for the pilot's tub, the seat position would be such that the pilot's back would hit the rear sill of the opening. Dry fitting the seat seems to put it too far back in any case so I will defer installation of the seat until after the tub is installed.

Using the above and having read some reviews, I decided to glue the gunner's tub, complete with shelf, to the turtleback such that the shelf was flush with the sill.

18021102.jpg
18021103.jpg

The pilot's tub was then assembled. It wasn't necessary to separate the bulkheads from the casting blocks as these won't foul anything. The tub is ever so slightly cockeyed as the bottom of the sides have a moulded angle to follow the curvature of the wing. These had to be filed a bit to fit and, as a result, the ends are just slightly off square. All this will be unnoticed once the shelf is installed anyway.

18021104.jpg
18021105.jpg
18021106.jpg

Here are the interior surfaces. There are huge ejector pins that need to be cut off. The edges of the openings have to be thinned as well.

18021107.jpg

Seen here is the work needed to make the rear tub fit. There is a moulded rim designed to align the edges of the turtleback but part of this needs to be removed. The reason for this is that the tub sides need to butt up to the fuselage wall as much as possible so that they don't stand proud and look too thick. Less obvious in the pic is the substantial removal of plastic from the fuselage sides where the bottom of the tub needs to fit.

18021108.jpg

With all that done, the rear tub now fits, more or less. There is a slight twist in the parts but things are flexible enough that I should be able to straighten this out at the glue stage provided that I work in stages to align the edges bit by bit. The short shot edge at the back has been filed square to receive a styrene plug.

18021201.jpg

Thanks for looking in.

Looks like a bit of extra effort will be required to get this beasty looking right, though good show so far.

Thanks Don. Still gluing in the turtleback in small steps and there are some alignment challenges that will result in me having to add some filler or styrene card to hide a step in the surface. Pics on this later.

While the glue cures on the turtleback, I attended to the very rudimentary treatment of the radiator exit which was essentially cast as a big blob with a couple of panel lines to represent the louvre.

18021601.jpg

The exit duct has to be opened and I started by drilling a series of holes to allow the plastic to be easily pried open.

18021602.jpg

The opening was cut and the edges were gradually straightened out using blades and files. The plastic is extremely thick so this took some doing.

18021603.jpg

That's all I have to show for now. I should get the clamps off the fuselage tomorrow and add an update at that time. Thanks for watching.

Cheers Vic.

Below you'll see the fit issues with the turtleback and the start of the fixes. Despite my best efforts to align the parts some pre-existing warps in the fuselage section just wouldn't co-operate and there are a couple of steps that will now need to be addressed. The following pic was taken in stark lighting to highlight the overhang seen in the middle of the seam. The dark line toward the rear is actually black paint that has bled into the flue and is not a step.

18021901.jpg

The start of the fix was to add strips of styrene using Tamiya Extra Thin. These strips, once fully set, will be sanded down and blended in with the surrounding surfaces.

18021904.jpg

Gaps in the front and back seams had to be attended to as well and this was a simple matter of stuffing styrene in them and melting the plastic with TET. The short shot hole was treated in the same way.

18021902.jpg
18021903.jpg

I'm going to let all this cure for a couple of days and then start sanding. More then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back