1/48 RCAF Fairey Battle Mk I STF Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks Hugh. Still filling with seams around the turtleback mostly with primer paint and sanding. There was a bit of a hollow near the spine that I hadn't noticed before but that is quite evident when eyeballing along the line and using a sanding stick so this is taking longer than expected. I'll show the final fixes before the last prime coat.

Thanks Karl. Nice to see you stop by and I hope the new job is going well. Things must be busy.

Here are a few shots of the repairs before I shot on a coat of primer:

18022601.jpg
18022602.jpg
18022603.jpg
18022604.jpg

Thanks guys.

Well, with the primer on, I found an unexpected defect which isn't even near the seam I was trying to work. The seam actually looks good but this odd bulge appears on the port side only. I will need to give it a good file and sand.

18022801.jpg

IMHO you have sanded down too much at the seam areas. That's the reason. Not sure of course, but some of a putty can be needed at the pointed area.

18022801a.jpg

Thanks guys. Wojtek, I considered that possibility as well but it's not that. There is a definite bulge there that is not present on the other side. It's hard to photograph and see well but if I look at the pic before repair was done , the bulge also shows up.

It's been eating too many burgers !
Would it be really obvious once painted ?
If not, then it could be classed as a stress mark due to rough handling and landings !

Thanks guys. Wojtek, I considered that possibility as well but it's not that. There is a definite bulge there that is not present on the other side. It's hard to photograph and see well but if I look at the pic before repair was done , the bulge also shows up.

Oh yes, you are right I can see that bulge in there too. So I think I know now what is the reason for that. I would say that the fuselage was deformed at the area. Therefore you got the "step" at the seam there. Just the top sides of the fuselage were bended inside causing the incorrect curvature of the fuselage between the top and bottom part.

I agree Wojtek. Limited run kits.....

Terry, it was when I painted the primer when I noticed it so yes, I do need to fix it. I have filed the bulge down and waiting until I get in the mood to rescribe the panel lines. And there are lots because the way they built this aircraft was almost like ship-lap construction with a panel line at every stringer. Sheeesh!

Andy, I already have a couple of days watching your thread (I had not seen it before, :facepalm2: I enter the GB very little) and the work done so far is first class!
It is a very clean job with very adequate repairs and I am sure that of this last battle with the Battle, you will come out victorious with your fist held high. :thumbright:
I have a lot to continue enjoying and learning, I already took my place in the first row !! :occasion5:

Saludos Maestro :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back