1/48 SANGER Mitsubishi Ki-67 Vac...It BEGINS!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Fantastic work so far mate, looking forward to seeing your progress in the new year!

Last edited:
First of all; "MY BEST WISHES FOR 2015 AND LOTS OF MODELLING TIME FOR ALL OF YOU"

Next, as promessed the first anual updat for 2015!
The year started good as my boss decided to give us the 2nd of Januari off!
So, with some extra time on my hands, I decided to tackle the Ki-67 again.

Last pic of the cockpit before closing it up. I added an extra control stick for one of the pilots as the Sanger kit only contains one and the white "covers" on the armoured seats are (I think) life jackets) I've seen these in a few Ki-67 pics, so I added them for some extra contrast.
DSCF2772.JPG

DSCF2773.JPG

Then the cocpit transparancy was attached. I opted the use the Sanger part, although not that good, I just didn't want to lake another mould for it, so on it went. I had to add two extra windows which are not in the kit.
DSCF2778.JPG

I stil had to add a few "extra's" to the "tail stinger" So I added a ammo belt and case + a sunscreen that was visible in a refference pic.
DSCF2775.JPG

DSCF2776.JPG

Ah, then came the tail...After a lot of thinking, thickering I decided upont the following solution.
I made a few "pegs" which I could glue to the fuselage and slide/glue the tail over to give it some attachment to the fuselage.
Luckily this worked out quiet well and the tail sits fine and is quiet sturdy.
DSCF2780.JPG

DSCF2783.JPG

DSCF2784.JPG

And some putty to fill the gaps (Man, I just love Tamiya grey putty!!!)
DSCF2787.JPG

and to conclude, some wee bit work on the front office. A few extra details.
Still need to figure out how to tackle those "perforated ribs" that are soo visible in the nose transparancy. (Though I have some idea's)
DSCF2789.JPG

A last pic, the Ki-67 with an old Tamiya A6M3 I build a decade ago (and for some reason never added the final details...oh well)
DSCF2786.JPG

So, my excuses for this long post. But I'm getting verry exited as it seams I'm getting close to the Finish line here...Never imagined I would/could pull this one off. But it seams I might after all ;)

Thanks all for your kind replies!
Well, I'm on a roll now...You got to bend the iron while it's hot.
This is what I came up with for the nose detail. I should of made a tubular construction like on the tail, but it was far to complicated for my limited skills. So I went for this. The perforated structure. I made 16 of these.
DSCF2790.JPG

I know a full tubular structure would have been better, but this was tricky enough for me ;)
DSCF2794.JPG

Some more detail work on the nose. I almost forgot to add the extra window pane aft of the nose. Looking at pics of actual Ki-67, there seal to be some variations on these. I opted for a late one with less windows.
DSCF2795.JPG

Some more paint and detail came next. I could added more detail, but decided it was sufficient enough to pass.
DSCF2791.JPG

DSCF2797.JPG

And then the nose could be glued on...at last.
DSCF2798.JPG

(I clipped the nose gun, so this part wouldn(t get lost in the painting process)

Next will be some more putty to get a smooth transition for the nose and main canopy. So more Tamiya Grey putty.
Some masking of the other transparancies and hopefully some primer...
Though I will have to tackle the landing gear too. Sanger's parts seam underscaled, so I guess new main landing gear will have to be produced!

Well, I had a little setback. Upon sanding the seams and puttyfilling with dry and wet sanding, the cockpit came loose. A bit of water must of slipped thru a seam and the PVA glue gave in.
A bit of a bummer. Though, I remembered a neat trick I read a few years ago on installing vacu canopies.
If you dimple a canopy in Future, it gets not affected by superglue.
So I took the whole canopy back off, removed all the PVA glue and putty, cleaned the canopy and dipped it in future.
I had it dry for a few hours and re-installed it with some thick superglue that also had a good filling capacity.
This worked like a charm as no "fogging" of the clear parts apeared. Pheeuwww...

So, now we are back on track. The nose transparancy needed a LOT of filling. It seams the Sanger kit's Fuselage/nose is not as wide as it should be (and had a somewhat weird oval shape at the end where the nose should go).
So a lot of putty was used to get a smooth transition between the fuselage and the nose transparancy.
The canopy is also very ill fitting, so again loads of putty.

Sanger suggests to cut canopies first and use these a guide for the width of the fuselage. This sounds plausible if the canopies would have the correct shape and width...Oh well..
So, in retrospect, I should have made my own mould for the main conopy as well...

Pics to follow ;)

The build is slowing down towards the end. I got a bit done. I repaired the canopy and gave it another coat of the interiour color.
I think I repeated this proces a few times. The side windows were very difficult to attach and it shows a bit. But they will have to do.

I also got a quiet smooth transition toward the tail. Lots of sanding, to get it acceptable.
Now I need some more scribing on th eengine nacelles to represent the pannel lines and I have to add the missing exhausts.
I think once this is done, the model is ready for some primer. I'm gonna go with Mr. Surfacer (500 or 1000) airbrushed all over. The blemishes that are still wisible will get some Vallejo putty. (A quiet superb acrylic based putty that has a consistency between thick paint and soft putty, exellent for scratches and dimples)

DSCF2801.JPG

DSCF2802.JPG

DSCF2803.JPG

DSCF2806.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back