1/48 SANGER Mitsubishi Ki-67 Vac...It BEGINS!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Very glad you have made such nice progress so far! Keep up the good work!

Thanks All! I'm slowly getting there.
I decided to add the necesary detail to the nose and tail cones. I have no idea what will be visible once everything is in place. But since I investied quiet some time on this kit, I figure, why not.
I hope to post some pics/update soon.

One thing I know for sure...it will be a very longgggggggggg time before I'll do another of them Sanger kits!!!!
My next build must be something simpeler and preferbly straight from the box and Tamigawa!!! ;)

Most likely the last update before X-mass!
I started on the wings. They needed a LOT of putty to get the angle smooth. Cutting the wings was easy, making then have the correct angle was doable, making them look smooth...Not so...
DSCF2745.JPG

DSCF2748.JPG

Took me some squadron white putty and some Tamiya grey putty to get things to an acceptable level.
Next I added some detail to the Brownings from the spares box (most likely Monogram) to make these look more like Ho-103's.
The guns are essentially the same, just some details are different. The top one will go in the tail.
DSCF2743.JPG

Since I masked the transparancies, I decided to give them a coat of paint and to cut the opening in the tail cone for the tailgun.
I'll have to mask this again later, once the tailgun and tailcone are installed.
DSCF2744.JPG

And since I had the airbrush loaded with the interiour colour, I gave the tail tubing a coat as well.
The tailgun will sit in the last ring with some more detail added, then the tailcone transparency will slide over this construction and get some pva glue to set.
DSCF2746.JPG

So, I wish you all a great X-mass!
Next intallment will be somewhere before new year's eve, I hope :)

Great build Ohm-men. Certainly is a labour of love, this one. Watching with interest and getting loads of tips. Have a Sanger kit tucked away somewhere and still building up to pulling it out one day but they look tricky. Well done with the clear parts as well.

As promessed an update! Been working on some details to get closer to the priming stage.
First I cleaned out all of scribing of the fuselage and added some missing pannel lines.

Next came the side blisters. Another bugger to install. But some very carefull sanding with a DIY curved sanding stick took care of that...
DSCF2754.JPG

Then I concentrated again on the wings, another putty session, followed by more sanding and after that was done, I added "strenghting strips" to the wings. These are clearly shown in pics of the Ki-67. Sangers effort wasn't even close, so I made my own. Took me a while, but I'm happy with the end result. Top;
DSCF2756.JPG

And bottom;
DSCF2757.JPG

I figured I have something to show in te nose. The 1/72 Eduard detail set instructions were of great assistance. Some plastic card, a scalpel and Tamiya glue and got something made up for the nose. I plan to add some more detail, but I will not go overboard with is as it will ramian to be seen what the actual end reslut may be...
DSCF2752.JPG

DSCF2753.JPG

And last, I installed the "Tail Stinger" in the framework I made earlier. Took quiet some fiddling to get the bugger inthe right place, but I think it looks ok. I think I'm gonna add an ammo belt and perhaps a ammobox before sliding the tail canopy over.
DSCF2749.JPG

DSCF2751.JPG

And this concludes our progress for this year! Perhaps I post another update before the year is over, but that's a slim chance.
Anyway, thanks for looking and I wish you all the very best for 2015!
See you all next year!

I did a wee bit of work in the meantime. I added the missing side windows of the cockpit and added the cockpit transparancy as well after adding the final details to the office.

The fit was a bit better then expected. Still will need some filler though. But it's exeptable.
I also made an ammo belt and case for the tail gun. Once this is added, this part can be closed as well.
As the diameter of the tail transparency is a bit smaller than the actual tail diameter, I'm gonna ad some armour plating on the underside of this piece. It's visible in the pics I found and will be a help to eventually get rid of the step between these two parts and have a smoother transition between the tail and tail canopy.

So far this build has been a huge learning curve for me. I feel more confident now and I think my scratch build skills have also evolved in a good way :)
(So, building a Mitsubishi G4M2 "Okha mothership" might be my next project once this one is completed :D)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back