1/48 Scale Junkers Ju87R-2 Stuka

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks guys. Its been a bit of a mixed day, started well as I was doing simple things like drilling holes, but then it turned nasty.

Hole drilling. I have opened up the air vents on the nose of the Stuka and also the vents that air cool the exhausts. Red arrow drilled, blue arrow to be drilled.

Then I turned my attention to the coolant radiator split flaps. These can be shown opened or closed and the kit provides parts for either..............but..............the kit parts indicate 7 flaps and the aircraft only has 6 and both parts are crap anyway. So I decided to build my own. Piece of doddle I though.............."wrong." As you can see, they don't look so good. I stripped these out and have started again with a thinner evergreen card and this is now letting the poly cement dry. The red arrow shows a poor fit over the coolant radiator part and I filled the gap with glue before sanding it back.

Hope you all have a good day.

Thanks folks and like I said, "Piece of Doddle."

Now I need a bit of help/advice. The kit has no gun sight and I'm thinking this must be an oversight but I could be wrong an if the 87R-2 is without, it would be unusual. I'm also having trouble finding a Stuka gun sight. I realize that the pilot would use the floor window to sight his ground target before flipping over and down into the dive but they also did have wing guns. So any thought/pics/help please gents.

Last edited:
Nothing to show of my progress, I've just been plodding away placing the cockpit PE with a dash of paint here and there, kind of slow methodical work. Sadly I have really cocked up the instrument panel, so much so it's unusable and I'll have to conjure up a new one.

One other thing I've been racking my brain cell over is these little leavers and knobs one finds in the cockpits, how can I make some that look a little bit realistic rather than using the Eduard PE ones that always seem to look out of place and over large. Mine usually end up in cyber space or cobbled up by the carpet gremlin. Anyway, I did eventually come up with something....................................

Sorry about the pic, internal lighting and a very close shot. These have been made from the bristles of a toothbrush, the ends heated close to a flame to make the bobble. The blade tip you see is from a #10 surgical, so these are very tiny. Static will keep them on the end of your tweezers while carefully placing but I have found I need to let the glue set a little before placing as the static on your tweezers will just pull it off again.

Users who are viewing this thread