1/48 Ta152H - Allied Advance and Defense of the Reich WWII. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks Wayne and Glenn. Started hollowing out the exhaust stubs as the mood hits me. This needs to be done before gluing the fuselage halve together. So far, it looks like the whole engine will fit in with minimal heartburn. Just a few parts to trim. Pics this weekend.

She is coming along pretty good so far Andy.A little bit of a stall ;Life must getting in the way?

Found time (and mood) to finish hollowing out the exhaust stubs yesterday while sitting out on my patio sipping a coffee. Fortunately I didn't get any blow-outs, despite the fact that some pairs of stubs are very tightly nested and it was not easy getting the drill in cleanly.

16042201.jpg

Back to the engine. Here's a pic of how it fits into the fuselage. Two points interfere very slightly with the top seam so these were nipped off, since they won't be seen anyway.

16042202.jpg

The engine was then painted. I left the front unpainted as that's where I was handling it and none of this end will be seen through the wheel well.

16042203.jpg

To get the exhaust stubs to sit properly required a fair amount of trimming of parts. There was no way that the pins supplied on the stub assembly, when fitted into the holes inside the fuselage, would allow the stubs to come out far enough so all of them were cut off and the vertical pillars in the slot in the fuselage were thinned. In the end, all was good and I shot some Alclad Steel to get into all the nooks and crannies, though I'll probably mask and paint them again later.

16042204.jpg

Here's how the engine fits into the compartment now. The only thing not quite right now is that the MK 108 is not level and I may yet correct that. I'll also need to look at adding some more pipes and some more framing and/or firewall which must have been present as this area is highly visible through the well well.

16042205.jpg

I know that you are not going to show the engine Andy but I'm curious. How does Dragon provide for showing the engine in place? Or does it? It doesn't seem so given the fuselage pieces that you've shown.

To display the engine, they provide separate cowls that are suitably thin and that feature ribbing on the internal surfaces. You would need to cut off the cowls from the molded fuselage sides and add the separate ones. The exhaust stubs would in this case be glued to the engine blocks rather than the cowls as I have done.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back